DIY Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nielsent

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
This is my first post so here goes...

I am a new diver and am getting interested in tech diving, I am also an experienced fabricator and figured that I could make a backplate and the fittings myself. I realize that there are many other posts for different backplates, but I can't seem to open any of the attachments for these plans in the older threads. Would someone please send me a set of CAD plans for a backplate and STA? Thanks for any help in advance.

This is my first post so here goes...

I am a new diver and am getting interested in tech diving, I am also an experienced fabricator and figured that I could make a backplate and the fittings myself. I realize that there are many other posts for different backplates, but I can't seem to open any of the attachments for these plans in the older threads. Would someone please send me a set of CAD plans for a backplate and STA? Thanks for any help in advance.

Just a bump, I'd like to see some pictures as well. I cant stop eyeing the Coleman Camp griddle
NW_10230.jpg]

Try huwporter.com .Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but he's got an interesting design.

Attachments

• H_Plate_2004.jpg
    H_Plate_2004.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 2,657
I found this on a search of the internet. I've opened it in Autocad 2004 and both the model and the dimensioned drawing open correctly. If you need any help on how to fabricate it, PM me and I'll try to help. I'm an engineer in a sheet metal shop and I spec manufacturing methods for this kind of stuff day in and day out.

Also if you need the drawing converted to dxf or an old version of Autocad let me know.

http://www.nigelhewitt.co.uk/stuff/plate.zip

I've made a few backplates. I don't remember where I found the plans but they were posted somewhere on this forum.
I'll attach the drawings I have.

As for a STA, just duplicate the bend angle for the plate, the STA is about the same.

I used 1/8 " aluminum. You will need access to a sheetmetal brake.

-Mitch

Attachments

• backplate_s1.jpg
    backplate_s1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 2,074
  • backplate_s2.jpg
    backplate_s2.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,553
Here's a link to the thread I started when I made my plates.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/235657-backplate-sta.html

I used the drawings I posted above. I drilled the perimeter holes, similar to the ones that are drilled in the OMS brand plates.

Here is a link to another thread. I later made a stainless steel backplate and STA. I constructed it differently, by making the plate out of 3 pieces and riveting them together with solid monel rivets. I made the bend angles of the plate flatter than the aluminum ones.

http://www.divematrix.com/showthread.php?t=5632

-Mitch

For what you can buy one for compared to the time and effort it doesn't seem worth it .

Aluminum Back Plate [CA-ALbp] - $53.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

Hey Micklock,

You are correct. For me, I have access to the equipment so I did about 4 plates and STA's. The stainless riveted one I did just because I wanted something different.

Mine were all lunch break projects.

Looking at it from a time vs. money issue, there is no doubt about it....just go and buy one. Especially for the amount in the link you provided.

I own a Deep Sea Supply plate also...I think Tobin makes some of the best stuff out there, and his prices are great if you're buying a complete setup.

I use the other plates I made with a Dive Rite venture wing, and I have one aluminum plate for use with my DSS wing if I'm flying to Yap or Palau to cut about 5 pounds.:D

You are correct. It's quick and clean to just buy one.

The titanium plate shown above is cool!!! One of those "just because I can" projects.

-Mitch

Thanks for the help guys. Does Anyone have the plans for a STA as well?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom