Driver for SSC P7 LEDs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adm3745

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm building my own Can Light and for yhe first one I Want to use a single P7 LED.
Has anyone built a light with this bulb? Is it bright enough for a primary?

What I really need though is a driver to output 2.8 A so I can run the bulb at full capacity. I wanted to use a 12V 4.5Ah Nimh bat pack. Does anyone know where I can find a driver that will work for this?

If one does not exist, has anyone made a 3 x P7 Light that you ran down around 1.4A?
What kind of light output could I expect from a configuration like that?

I don't think it would be worthwhile to run at 1.4 amps for 3 P7

The 12W single P7 is good for a primary. I have used it as such and it's fine. I dove with my buddy who has a Salvo 21W LED and it kept up just fine.

Look at kaidomain.com for the driver they have a few options.. multi mode, single mode. I prefer the single mode ones my self due to simplicity. I have also direct driven the P7 with up to 4.5 volts (3 alkaline batteries) without problems.

Hi there. I am new to the forum, but very experienced with high power LED's like the P7.

The driver that I use is the hipCC from TaskLed. I can't yet post links, but if you do a Google search on TaskLED you will easily find the web site.

Will

I use the (snip - link not allowed)

Its cheap and works really well.
2.8amp 3 mode 100% 50% and 10%. Low volt (when used with a 7.4v pack) and over temp warning.

I have also used it to drive loads comparable to 2 P7's on series. It may be possible to drive 3 P7's off of it.

Hi there dude!

It was through you that I found this diving forum. Lots to learn for me :)

Will

LOL, Yeah, I get around.:eyebrow:

Well, you are a very respected forum member on the Candlepowerforums site on anything/everything related to diving lights, upgrades, DIY, etc., and now that I have been over here reading and learning more, I can see that you are trully an expert on this. Kudos to you for sharing your knowledge and expertize across various forums :acclaim:

Will

I use the driver from KD.

Its cheap and works really well.
2.8amp 3 mode 100% 50% and 10%. Low volt (when used with a 7.4v pack) and over temp warning.

I have also used it to drive loads comparable to 2 P7's on series. It may be possible to drive 3 P7's off of it.

I got one of these, running of a 9.6volt pack, so far I like it better than the 8 7135 chip driver. Not sure if I'll really use the modes in the crappy PNW vis, but it's nice to have. It's a good idea to heatsink the chip, I understand they can overheat pretty easily. Much cheaper than the drivers from TaskLED, but I'm thinking you get what you pay for.

Jake

I have always heat sinked them, untill the other night.....

I hooked one up to a 12v battery and a 2.8amp 7.4 v load.
It melted the Fet off the board then the fet blew.

They really do need sinking.
I use the 3 modes alot.
Low is for peering under the dash of cars during work. Mid and high are for diving.

Well, you are a very respected forum member on the Candlepowerforums site on anything/everything related to diving lights, upgrades, DIY, etc., and now that I have been over here reading and learning more, I can see that you are trully an expert on this. Kudos to you for sharing your knowledge and expertize across various forums :acclaim:

Will

Thanks, but truth is I am just a hack. I learn from blowing things up!:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom