Underwater bonding glue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cobaltbabe

Diva of the Deep
Reaction score
OK boys and girls,
I have a problem with my bc and I am going to fix it myself. I have a hole that has developed in the webbing right around the inflator hose. I plan on putting a layer of material below the hold and one above and doing a double stitch around the entire thing. What I am looking for is a good underwater glue that will bond the two pieces to the BC before I have them stitched to make the area extra strong. I also plan on creating the hole and then sealing it as well. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you
Marie

Hi Marie.

Wouldn't Aquaseal work?

I re-sewed my old BC a few times. It was always at the seams, though. Would simply sewing the hole closed without the extra material work?

Paula

I wanted the extra reinforcement because it is at the inflator hose. The BC is a really good one too. I won't tell you what kind over the open board because I respect the company. I just don't want to have it happen again.

I have repaired my old spair BC if just the way you describe.
Most BC's have a polyurethane backing or liner, and this is just what aqua seal is polyurethane cement. Do all your sewing then patcch with Aquaseal to make it water/air tight.

The inflator/dump valve area is one of high stress. The connection is usually heat bonded in in place and you may need to reinforce the area on the inside as well as the outside. This can be done, but you have to work through the inflator hose connection hole. Remove the hose,

Roll up a piece of wax paper and slip it inside the bladder and open it to work on, so the Aqua Seal wont' stick to the back to the front of the BC.

Cut a peice of cordura nylon, or polyurethane sheet, into a falt patch the size and shape you need. (sand polyuethane to rough up the glued face). Apply and nice coat of aquaseal to the patch, smooth it out (popsicle sticks works ok for this) (I do not recommend the use of coatol to speed up the cure, you want this to stay soft so you can get it in the right place.
Fold the patch in half, (glue inside) roll it and push it inside the BC thru the filler hole. (A wire coat hanger works well as a restractor tool, just bend an end double, and make an L shape so you can reach in the opening and hold it up off the wax paper while you positon the patch) An extra set of hands is also needed. One person holds the front face up off the wax paper, while you use a couple of pairs of large tweezers or forcepts to work thru the hole.
Open the patch inside( glue face up), position it where you want it, and lower the infaltor connection onto the patch. remove your tools but leave the wax paper inplace. Press the BC face down onto the patch, and smooth out patch. Press just hard enough to get the surfaces together (you don't want to squeeze out too much glue) Place a ponge of towel (scrap) over the area and put a 3-4 lb lead weight (or wife's steam iron) on it to clamp over night.

Next morning remove the wax paper, and repeat the repair process on the out side, just put the wax paper over your patch before you put the weight on it.
Let it dry over night ......done!

This may not be DIR but it works for me!

Mike D

My girlfriend has an industrial sewing machine so I am going to have her do all the stitching for me. And for all those who are wondering, I did contact the manufacturer and because it is second hand the warrenty doesn't apply. But I do love their products!!! Even though I won't tell you what it is. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom