Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
my concern is how to install the sensor exposed, i am planning to buy one of the boxes below. How can i install the sensor is pretty small is 5.8 mm in diameter, i wonder if doing a hole and install it with some epoxy resin or glue... do you have any ideas? on who can i mount it?
I'll be interested in how this turns out. I'm not sure, but it looks like the sensor is designed to seal itself against an opening. Maybe a sealed box containing the electronics inside another box for mounting the sensor?
I would try it just in the box. Chances are good that it is sensitive enough to feel any degree of compression, and the box will compress some even though it is rigid. As long as the box is waterproof the air will compress accordingly. Give it a try, what have you got to loose.
Hi! Interesting project you have going there! do keep us updated!
I have two ideas on what you can do to house the electronics.
I would like to recommend that you try a normal plastic box solely to protect the electronics from knocks and bumps. I don't think there's an issue with electronics performing under pressure. =p but i'm a mechanical guy, so i wouldn't know.
Next, drill a hole big enough for the wires (but not big enough for the sensor to pass through) and leave the sensor outside the box, connected to the board in the box via the wires. It doesn't have to be water proof at this stage.
After that, put the plastic box and the sensor into a water proof bag like one of these:
The box provides the structural strength for the circuitry, and the waterproof bag provides the waterproofing, while still allowing the pressure to get to the sensor. The only downside is that there still might be some pressure transmitted to the circuitary, but i don't think that should be a problem.
The next idea i have is simpler, but might be riskier.
wrap the sensor with a condom. Leave the open end of the condom in the box and the sensor head outside the box. Then close the box, clamping on the wires and condom. It's a good ideal to ensure sufficient spacing between the wires so that the o-ring of the box can wrap around the wires completely.
If you get the right kind of box with suitably compressible o-rings, and the gap between the faces sealing the o-ring is just nice, it might just work!
There's obviously a few problems with this idea, such as O-ring being deformed, wires breaking due to the clamping, you might not even be able to close the cover properly. But it's a neat idea if it works! hahah..
I worked on this the last week and I got to test the system under pressure in a chamber were my LDS test the computers. The electronics where no in a box so we just tested for a pressure equivalent to 40 feet.. see the pictures, the sensor was accurate as I can say, the analog gage was at about 40 feet and the sensor was reading 40 feet and the equivalent in mbar…
Look at the pictures…
I also got last Friday the MicroSD card module and I am getting a new microsd card this week( the one I got at home did not work(old)..
I tested my cellphone memory card with the microcontroller and it got to read my files an everything..
My goal for this week is to make the necessary function to write to a text file the temperature and pressure from the sensor in the file so you can open it in excel format delimited by “ , “.