DIY balanced piston stem o-ring tool.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couv

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
While contemplating the dimensions of a wine bottle cork, I wondered if it would make a useful DIY tool. As it happens, they are same approximate diameter of the ambient cavity of a MK 5, so I decided to DIY a piston stem o-ring insertion tool. It's much like and used similarly as the one made by Scuba Tools, but infinitely cheaper (not including the wine) and probably readily available.

So here we go:

First, open a nice bottle of wine-none of that twist off crap. A bottle of Alexander Valley Cabernet S will do nicely. When you open it, take care to stab the cork dead center.
While the wine is breathing and before you drink any, take a 1/4 inch drill and carefully bore a hole top to bottom through the cork. Now find a dowel rod small enough to pass through the body of a MK5 piston stem cavity; I used a .125 diameter piece. You'll need two pieces, so off a piece 1.40 inches in length, make sure both ends are nice and square. The short piece serves as a "stop." Basically, it will block the o-ring from going past the o-ring groove. Insert the 1.4 inch length dowel into the high pressure side of the body and place it down on a table. Insert the cork into the ambient side of the body and using the remaining piece of dowel, drive a well lubed o-ring through cork hole and into the body. The o-ring will find the groove but may need just a little encouragement with the impeccably clean end of a chopstick to fully seat.

Bonus: If you don't have a piston bullet use a straw. If you don't have the exact diameter straw, trim one lengthwise.

These same tools may very well work on a MK 10 and other balanced piston first stages, but may require a bit of trimming. In the picture below is the DIY version and the Scuba Tools version. It took me much longer to type all this mess than it did to make these tools, so don't be daunted......time to enjoy the vino.

I'm looking forward to your comments and additions.

Cheers,

Couv

Amazing! Super cool idea.

*Side note: Not only did I do 4 hour long dives last weekend in my 109 from you in 48 degree water, I dove yesterday in your MK10 for a little under an hour in 46 degree water. All dive and breath BEAUTIFUL!

Nicely done. A true case of waste not want not. I'm going to try this even though I already have the Scubatools version.
The cork looks a bit bigger than the teflon tool, and is tapered to boot. Any difficulty pushing it into place?

Gotta love red wine. Chock full of antioxidants and DIY ideas. Maybe I'll get a really good idea with a couple of sizable snorts of single malt scotch. Actually, I think I'll get going on that right now.....:drunks:
Kampai!

This cork tool may sound like a clever idea, but it would have been a lot more creative had I thought of it BEFORE I purchased the Scuba Tool, anyway just hoping to save my DIY friends a bit of expense.

The cork fit perfectly into the MK5-haven't tried it on a 10 yet, but as the material is soft it's easy to work. One thing to be aware, the hole you drill will have to be nice and clean and lubed to prevent ablation.

Single malt....I like the way you think. Remember, it's life support.

That is such a neat idea. Great thinking. I will give it a try and keep in in mind for any possible repairs "off the grid".

Henrik

Update with pix & MK 10 info

As noted before, the MK 10 piston head and body are smaller than the MK 5 so you may need to trim the cork. Also the distance from the hp seat to the o-ring groove is shorter, so for the MK 10, you'll need a .215 inch diameter dowel cut to 1.10 inches (MK 5 is .215 in dia X 1.40in length).

Again, place the body high pressure side down and drop the short dowel through body. Place the cork into the ambient chamber, insert an o-ring perpendicular to its normal position and tamp it into place. The process took me 21 seconds from start to finish, and I find it easier than the Scuba Tools version as the regulator is placed on a table or mat rather than being clammed or mounted to access both ends.

A large dowel instead of a cork should work better and eliminate any worries re cork particles-I'll try to pester Herman into producing a few.

Here are a few pictures to clarify the process....funnies for the dummies.

While contemplating the dimensions of a wine bottle cork, I wondered if it would make a useful DIY tool. As it happens, they are same approximate diameter of the ambient cavity of a MK 5, so I decided to DIY a piston stem o-ring insertion tool. It's much like and used similarly as the one made by Scuba Tools, but infinitely cheaper (not including the wine) and probably readily available.

So here we go:

First, open a nice bottle of wine-none of that twist off crap. A bottle of Alexander Valley Cabernet S will do nicely. When you open it, take care to stab the cork dead center.
While the wine is breathing and before you drink any, take a 1/4 inch drill and carefully bore a hole top to bottom through the cork. Now find a dowel rod small enough to pass through the body of a MK5 piston stem cavity; I used a .125 diameter piece. You'll need two pieces, so off a piece 1.40 inches in length, make sure both ends are nice and square. The short piece serves as a "stop." Basically, it will block the o-ring from going past the o-ring groove. Insert the 1.4 inch length dowel into the high pressure side of the body and place it down on a table. Insert the cork into the ambient side of the body and using the remaining piece of dowel, drive a well lubed o-ring through cork hole and into the body. The o-ring will find the groove but may need just a little encouragement with the impeccably clean end of a chopstick to fully seat.

Bonus: If you don't have a piston bullet use a straw. If you don't have the exact diameter straw, trim one lengthwise.

These same tools may very well work on a MK 10 and other balanced piston first stages, but may require a bit of trimming. In the picture below is the DIY version and the Scuba Tools version. It took me much longer to type all this mess than it did to make these tools, so don't be daunted......time to enjoy the vino.

I'm looking forward to your comments and additions.

Cheers,

Couv

Such an engenius and impressive Idea, I have to try this one lol

Back
Top Bottom