ScubaPro Lever Height Adjustment Tool review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couv

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recently received my 109/BA/G250 (possibly a few others) lever height adjustment tool from Herman. First I’ll cover the other tools that came with the kit.

Piston Bullet

The Delrin piston bullet is well machined, much easier to use than tape or a straw, and simplifies the installation of the piston. This simple tool prevents damage to the piston stem o-ring.

MK 5 Turret Retainer Socket

The MK 5 turret retainer socket fits perfectly into the cap and onto the retainer bolt as the end has been machined absolutely square. I found it more precise than either the 11/16th socket I modified or a Craftsman socket because this deep socket requires no extension.

Lever Height Adjustment Tool

One of the issues with a single adjustment, barrel poppet design is that the lever height cannot be adjusted without affecting the cracking pressure. Maximum lever height is vital to produce proper poppet/orifice separation and overall gas flow. Therefore having the lever at the optimal angle and height is a huge plus when tuning a single adjustment second stage assembly.

What constitutes optimal lever height? IMHO optimal lever height is achieved when the cracking pressure adjustments can be made with an open case and little or no further adjustments are required after the installation of the other second stage components, i.e. the diaphragm and covers-this clever tool facilitates just that.

I tried my new toy on a few levers and I’m happy to report it works very well. However there are a couple of important exceptions. First, it does not work on the newest lever as the curly feet do not fit into the adjustment slots. Perhaps a modification will allow that-but usually the newest levers don’t require adjustment. Next; while it works well on the large tab (foot) levers, it still does not compensate for the incompatibility of that lever and the new duro poppet. This is not a fault of the tool, but don’t purchase it thinking you’ll solve the compatibility problem. It does make proper lever angle adjustments, but you must use the older style poppet with a unitized poppet and seat.

So to whom do I recommend this tool? If you’re just maintaining or upgrading one or two regulators, then the purchase of a new lever, poppet, and spring would make more sense. However, if you service ScubaPro regulators for a shop or you’re in the bad habit of salvaging every 109/BA/G250 you can get your hands on; you'll find this jewel a welcome addition to your tool box.

To acquire any or all of these tools PM herman.

Last edited:
ooops, that line should read:

...... This is not a fault of the tool, but don’t purchase it thinking you’ll solve the compatibility problem. It does make proper lever angle adjustments, but you must use the older style unitized poppet and seat with the large foot lever......

Back
Top Bottom