Epoxy for BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtaylo0625

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a Black Diamond BCD and the (plastic) tank pad has come away from the backing plate - it is normally held in place with stitching.
I have decided to repair this using epoxy - can anyone recommend an epoxy, or cement type product, that would be suitable.
I am thinking of something that might have a certain amount of flex maybe??

Usually epoxy is pretty brittle to do repairs on flexible items.

That what I was thinking too - maybe there is something in particular that is good for scuba gear?

I have a Black Diamond BCD and the (plastic) tank pad has come away from the backing plate - it is normally held in place with stitching.

What part is this? Is this a pad between the BC strap and the tank or between the BC and the diver, or somewhere else?

Generally if the stitching fails it's because the fabric is worn. I'm not sure there's anything you can fix it with, although depending on the part, it might be replaceable.

flots

Goop is the stuff for lots of marine repairs. It's flexible and strong, and mostly UV resistant.

Other people say Shoe Goo works better.

If you have a few surfaces to mate, how about contact cenent?

Take it to a shoe repair shop. They have machines that will stitch through just about anything. I had them make up a custom butt plate for my transpac for $15 labor, all I had to do was get the polyethylene sheet, nylon material and, SS grommet and hardware. I cut it, the sewed it.

Marine Goop is great stuff but is pretty hard when cured. Shoe Goo is more flexible when cured. I use them both extensively and think thay rank right up there with WD-40 and Duct tape (it was originally used to seal the cold air ducts in heating systems - not to tape up ducks - LOL).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom