SoCal HOG Repair Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsingler

Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just had a nice chat with Robert Arak (SB: robertarak) and he's willing to hold another HOG repair class down in Southern California (Los Angeles) in the next couple of months if we can generate some interest. Check out www.scubatude.com and see if we can't get enough students (4-5?) to make it happen. $275 for a full day course - not a 3 hour video and PowerPoint like some manufacturers. PM him if you're interested in being able to service your own HOG.

Below is the prerequisites and tool requirements I got from him:

TDI Edge/HOG Equipment Service Course
Pre-requisites​
In order to become a TDI certified Edge/HOG Equipment Service technician, you
must:​
!​
be at least 18 years old, hold a nitrox diver certification, and hold a technical
diver certification, or;​
!​
be at least 18 years old and be employed by a dive shop as a service
technician.​
Before Class​
It is critical that you read “Scuba Regulator Savvy” and complete the IQ Reviews
prior to class. This information is critical to understanding and servicing regulators
and forms the foundation upon which we will build during the class. Students who do
not complete the IQ Reviews prior to the start of class will be sent home and charged
an additional fee to reschedule.
Review the Required Tools list you and purchase any that you don’t already own.
Take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with any new acquisitions before the class.
Purchase at least one HOG regulator set and register as the owner with Edge/HOG.​
The Day of Class​
Please arrive on time. Please call if you are running late so the entire class can
prepare a suitable welcome for you while we’re delayed.
Bring the following items:​
!​
A complete HOG regulator set, including 1st stage, at least one 2nd stage, an
SPG and appropriate hoses.​
!​
Copies of your nitrox and technical diver certification cards.
!​
All of the tools on the Required Tools list.
Lunch will be served.​
Graduation Requirements​
You will have successfully completed the course when you are able to clearly
demonstrate to the satisfaction of the instructor that you have the ability to
troubleshoot and service HOG regulators.
Additionally, to successfully complete the course you must:​
!​
Pass the final exam.
!​
Complete a dive with the HOG equipment that you have serviced and submit
a copy of your log for that dive to the instructor.​
!​
Register for the ScubaBoard HOG Repair Station forum at
Required Tools​
Many of the following items are available from ScubaTools.com. Where you purchase
them is up to you but I’ve found ScubaTools to be good and convenient, if pricey.
Prices and availability are subject to change without notice, if you’re having a hard
time acquiring anything on this list, let me know.
ScubaTools.com​
Scuba Regulator Savvy​
by Peter Wolfinger
SKU 30-100-100 ......................................................................................$29.00
First Stage Handle
SKU 20-115-100 ......................................................................................$26.00
Dual Drive Inline Adjusting Tool
SKU 20-500-200 ......................................................................................$62.00
Christo-Lube
SKU 15-710-111 ......................................................................................$29.00
O-ring Pick Set, Soft Brass
SKU 10-102-100 ......................................................................................$11.00
O-ring Pick Set, 5 Pieces
SKU 10-125-400 ....................................................................................... $7.50
3/8” Drive Dial Torque Wrench
SKU 79-600-700 ....................................................................................$160.00
Local hardware store or Amazon.com
Hook Spanner – needs to be 1.5” (or adjustable) with a small (1/8”) pin.
6” Adjustable wrenches – you’ll need two.
Lighted Magnifier – a headlamp with magnifiers works great but a lighted reading
magnifier or lighted loupe is good, too.
Metric Torque Wrench Crow’s Feet
Metric Long Hex Bit Sockets (for torque wrench)
Metric Hex Key set
Imperial Hex Key set
¼” Combination Open/Closed Face Wrench - (I had to look this one up, lol! It's just a 1/4" spanner, open-faced on one side and a 12-point circle on the other - for the seat retainer spring tension, I'm guessing).​
Phillips Screwdriver

Can I take the course without a tech card?

I don't care about being certified, just want training to service my own regs.

Robert just got back to me with a date: Saturday, 5 October, 2013.
Here's the Facebook link he created: https://www.facebook.com/events/504724582939015/
Now...if only I hadn't closed my Facebook account :depressed:
Hope there are more of you out there that can make this a go!
Cheers!
Rob

interested, but not sure I will have the appropriate cert in time.

I'd love to do this but I'm not able to dive for about 6 months due to medical issues. And, still waiting to take my first technical class until my medical issues are resolved. Hope you have another class next year!

tracydr, for the record, I believe the TDI basic nitrox course counts as a tech course for purposes of this. (I read that somewhere here on SB). There is no dive requirement for the TDI Nitrox course, just an online class and then go discuss it with an instructor and do some practical tank analysis. A bit of overkill if you already have nitrox, but certainly a (relatively) cheap option to allow you to do the HOG course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom