Upgrading to LED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

18diver18

Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody could explain how to upgrade my current torch (a princeton tec shockwave) to use LEDS?
I'm also curious to know if there's a way i can convert it to use a rechargeable battery?

Cheers

Thanks for the reply, but I was told that upgrading wouldn't be too pricey... Any torches I can find that seem suitable are over £100, which ideally I dont want to pay (The torch is for diving in the Scotland, so the water aint exactly clear :) )

truthfully he's right about cost of upgrade -- unless you can find a cheap led torch that gives off good light -- take it apart and replace the innards of the shockwave II with it. or check out leisurepro.com or one of the other sites in the states -- a $100 dollar light == 61 sterling at today's exchange rate (plus shipping)

I have the same Shockwave light but just put it aside when my $36 LED 1000 lumens light with 2 lithion batteries w/charger arrived from Hong Kong. It uses 2 O-Rings at the end of the light to waterproof it to 30M/100ft but I haven't gone deeper than 60ft with it. The light uses one battery at a time and provides over an hour of light at the high setting. 2nd battery is a spare. Charger takes 2 batteries at the same time.

My light is the version that switches on by twisting the head, has OFF,low, high and flashing settings. My thoughts was if it could last a weekend of diving that would be good enough for the $36. The 1000 Lumens rating is pure bunk! My guess is that it around 500-700 lumens. It's small enough to fit in my BCD pocket but I just hook up the lanyard to a D-Ring for easy access and security so I don't loose the light.

Whatever you do to your Shockwave, please do report back.

Charlie

I got an 1800lm chinese light with two lithium batteries, a charger, rated to 100m for $37US shipped. 1800lm is crap, definitely 900-100lm though. For under $40 I can't complain. I bought two. They've broken 30m several times with me. Good at night, good in a cave, and in bad vis you can turn down the brightness and reduce some backscatter.

This new one has piqued my interest @ fifty bucks (including twenty bucks worth of batteries):

+ Enlarge
In Stock
$49.95
DGX 600 Handheld Light

SPECIAL PURCHASE - Excellent Value and Quality!

Offering 600 lumens and depth rated below 600 feet, the DGX 600 Handheld Light features a true out-the-front 600 system lumens (1100+ raw LED lumens) of cool white 6500°K light in a tight 8° beam. Using the supplied lithium-ion 18650 rechargeable battery, this compact light has a burn time of about one hour † at close to full brightness plus another hour of gradually declining but very usable light. The DGX 600 has the highest performing single-die LED that is commercially available, the CREE XLamp XM-L2 U2 LED, and is single-mode driven to prioritize light output over burn time. We are not exaggerating when we say this handheld light throws more punch than many of the previous generation of canister primary lights in the water today. Considering the Dive Gear Express price, the DGX 600 represents an excellent value for the brightest handheld we have ever offered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom