G250/Balanced Adjustable/109 upgrade kits available.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couv

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Good news. Bryan at Vintage Double Hose now has service & upgrade kits available for G250/Balanced Adjustable/109

Shop Online

Shortly, he should also have diaphragm covers and exhaust tees available too....long live the 109!

Shortly, he should also have diaphragm covers and exhaust tees available too....long live the 109!

Looking forward to the diaphragm covers and exhaust tees. It sounds like Bryan is going to have some made up that are comparable to the originals. A couple of my diaphragm covers are barely hanging on, and the currently available exhaust tees just aren't very good.

Does VDH have the newer levers that work better with the new poppets? I didn't see any onlne.

Does VDH have the newer levers that work better with the new poppets? I didn't see any onlne.

I'm having problems navigating the VDH Shop on line site right now, but before you spend your diving money have a look at this thread post number 8 http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do...-109-poppet-here-we-go-again.html#post6181068. You may not need one. At any rate, they are available from about $7-20 on eBay plus a couple of million for shipping.....hopefully RH has something for you.

I suspect that if the lever is working with the duro poppet in your 109, it should work OK with the S-wing poppet if you convert it to a BA.

I suspect that if the lever is working with the duro poppet in your 109, it should work OK with the S-wing poppet if you convert it to a BA.

Others would disagree. I guess I have a 2 out of three chance of having the right one. I haven't looked at either reg as I just got them back from servicing so 1st I'll use them, then later when they need some TLC I'll check out the levers. I was looking for a source for levers and didn't see them on the VDH site so I knew I'd get an answer here, and I did. Thanks all

Some will, some won't, and yes, it seems to be a "crap shoot". One indication of "lever issue" is, despite tuning attempts (lever height), there is an audible "click" then "woosh" as the poppet opens. Essentially, a "delay" in actuating the system. As you just did a service, you have some time to dive...

Some will, some won't, and yes, it seems to be a "crap shoot". One indication of "lever issue" is, despite tuning attempts (lever height), there is an audible "click" then "woosh" as the poppet opens. Essentially, a "delay" in actuating the system. As you just did a service, you have some time to dive...

With a couple dozen 109/156s under my belt, I only had lever problems with one. I like to adjust my regs initially with the cover off noting lever height and then add the cover and usually make a slight re-adjustment. The one that gave me problems was probably about 1/2 inch above the body when initially adjusted. In spite of Harlow's warning, I "adjusted" the lever height by bending the feet and got away with it. I since acquired a tool to aide with that adjustment but have not had cause to use it.

I would be surprised if you had a problem when changing from one modern poppet to another. The problem seems to occur when going from the old style poppets to modern ones.

The problem seems to occur when going from the old style poppets to modern ones.

correct. my very old 109 just didn't like the new s-wing poppet upgrade. I have another that despite all efforts is "marginal", but have had success with 3 others (I seem to collect 109's - and have 10-12 of them)

Back
Top Bottom