Modifying BC wing for less lift

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Npallasi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have an old Zeagle Scout BC with a 38-lb wing attached. I tried this out in a pool and had problems sinking because it wasn't deflating fully. The BC already comes with bungee cords.
1.jpg
2.jpg

I wonder if I can reduce the size of the wing by rolling up the corners and sides of the wings somehow. (It does flap about a bit underwater.) I have no idea how I can do this and am looking for constructive suggestions. I have no idea how I can do this at this moment and I don't know how to replace a wing on this BC. (My research has barely begun.)

Looking forward to what this community has to say.

Are you able to tighten the bungies on this BC? If so I would try that first.

Your problem isn't size, it's shape and technique.

The water pressure will be more than enough to "press" the gas out, without need for bungees, provided that the gas has a direct path up to the exhaust valve. You may have to position your body so that the exhaust elbow is at the highest point.

I agree with Fisheater, it's not the wing, it's your technique. Assuming you are using the shoulder dump, the dump must be at the highest point on your body when you vent it, otherwise no matter what you do the to wing - any wing- it will not empty fully. If you postiion your body with your left shoulder up, like you are reaching up for something, and then vent all the air will escape. I see a lot of divers trying to stay horizonal or even worse slightly head down and trying to vent, it will not work. If you are using the lower dump, it becomes a little more complicated. You must first position the top of the bladder up so the air moves to the top (at which point you might as well use the shoulder vent), roll to the side of the dump( dump up) then go back head down to cause the air bubble to move to the the dump. Otherwise some (possibly all) of the air in the bladder will not be vented since it's in the other side of the wing. With 2 rear dumps you just have to go head down some and pull both of them.

There is probably a good reason why Zeagle put bungies on this wing. If the wing is tacoing on him making it difficult to vent then it is a wing problem not a technique problem.

I started off with a Zeagle very similar to what's pictured. Any air trapping was a technique issue.

Zeagle puts the bugies on to keep them from flapping around and to keep it compact. The bungies do not cause any kind of trapping issue. I have been diving a Scout for over 10 years and for the last 2 or 3 an ET which uses the same wing.

I have an old Zeagle Scout BC with a 38-lb wing attached. I tried this out in a pool and had problems sinking because it wasn't deflating fully...

Assuming you're in a vertical orientation when deflating the BC and have trouble sinking -- and you verified that the BC is trapping noticeable air (you're not in need of a little more lead) -- then what ams511 is suggesting may be a quick fix to try. It seems unlikely to me that you are already immersed (at least 2-3 feet down), have assumed horizontal trim but can't vent the BC. If that's the case the suggestions by fisheater and herman are probably correct.

Assuming the former, the following two pics show the general idea of what you can do with bungee cords. It's for a sidemount BC with a donut shaped wing (Hollis SMS100) whose topside has been constricted with 3/8 in shock cords so that buoyancy is directed toward the hip area (a different concern from yours).

sms100back.jpgsms100front.jpg

Because of the relative position of centers of gravity v. buoyancy, esp. with steel tanks, this is needed to achieve horitonal trim w/o overweighting.

In your case, you may want to apply even constriction everywhere and, if so, just tightening the bungee a bit may achieve the goal. If not, depending on available attachment points, use 3/8 bungees to apply uniform constriction and see if it helps. Don't apply too much pressure since you will be reducing some of the 38 lb lift capacity that you may need.

The bungee constriction method may or may not be a sufficient solution. If I open the zipper of the cordura BC enclosure and examine the plastic wing inside, it's crumpled up (before the constriction modification). At depth, as fisheater noted, ambient pressure will be your helper and press the air out. But in shallow depths, including when trying to sink, you don't have the full benefit of that and air trapped in the crumpled plastic wings may not easily vent. You will see some cave divers actually reach back and push down on their BC when this happens (to move air around). So one other option is to use your hands/arms to push inward on the BC when trying to sink (a third arm would be nice to hold the ventilator open but use one arm to apply some squeeze) and see if that helps.

Lastly, if the trapped air that prevents you from sinking is not much, then consider trying a couple of pounds of lead (but you don't want to overweight) to see if that does the trick. You don't want to be positively buoyant near the end of your dive. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips.

Bada3003, I do feel that I need an extra arm. Where can I get one for a reasonable price? :p

Zeagle puts the bugies on to keep them from flapping around and to keep it compact. The bungies do not cause any kind of trapping issue. I have been diving a Scout for over 10 years and for the last 2 or 3 an ET which uses the same wing.

Herman I have an Express Tech also, the wing is 24 lb not 38.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom