Mounting a BTS twinset steel tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikkel-kj

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

i'm planning on buying this twinset
16410616_ml.gif

But i'm not sure on how i can mount it on a metal backplate, it doesn't have the metalbands i have seen from the DIR tanks.
Is there a way to mount them?
Can i do that as a DIY project?

I don't think I've ever seen a double set up quite like this. Scrap that monstrosity of a tank boot and install typical double bands. By the question I am guessing that you do not have experience diving a double tank setup. I would highly recommend finding a good instructor to introduce you to the specifics of diving doubles.

You'd probably want to replace the valves and put an isolator in as well.

If you haven't bought that yet, you might want to reconsider the purchase. There's problems with that setup (assuming it's for bakcmount doubles) that may very well cost a few hundred dollars to correct.

The boot should come off. You'll need bands. You also need an isolator on the manifold (otherwise you might as well just use a single larger tank). Chances are you're going to want to swap those valves out with DIN if you're going to be doing technical diving.

If you had that and wanted to dive it.. I guess you could rig some rope up on it like you would with a stage or sidemount bottle. Then you might be able to tie it to the bcd. Seems like that would be a huge pain in the butt and possibly dangerous.

Hi,
its true that I have no experience with twinsets, it's just because I know that some say that it is the best.
the main reason for me to choosing these is because they are cheap ( €398).
the cheapest DIR setup I have found cost 435 € which is a lot more.
I live in Denmark, i have just been looking all over the web to find the cheapest set.
i have also found a 20l single tank, it is by far the cheapest I have found (297 &#8364:wink:

Can you explain why twinsets is better? Why I should pay a 100€ More?

Regards mikkel

With those tanks, if something goes wrong, it affects your entire gas supply because the two tanks are connected and can't be isolated. They also will not accept tank bands which would allow you to mount them to your backplate or bcd. It looks like it would cost you about €150 just for new valves and another €75 on tank bands. If you can get a proper set of doubles for €37 more, I'd say that is a much better option. Plus you won't need to worry about hydro and vis.

May I ask yo where did you get 398€ or 435€ ??? ECS brand ?

I have bought mine flat 1 year old for 420€.(ECS/DIR ZONE)

Main point for twinset is :

- a lot of gas
- low profile (important from side ) with 171 mm diameter long.
- much much more stable ( no swinging near cost or surface)
- best access to the valves for standard exercises
- best relation full tanks /empty tanks buoyancy ( empty must be best neutral but in reality (steel twins : round bottom are 0 to +1 kg and flat are cca -1,5 kg )
- quality SS bands (wide ; welded not screwed together )

-and if you want one day sell them you get then these 100€ back

it is good to borrow and try round vs flat bottom ; flat is more back heavy (it depends from your weight distribution ... like heavy 1 stages then is flat bottom maybe better)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nightmare is big single tank with big full/empty buoyancy difference and twin 180° ''DIR'' valves

The reason people like doubles is due to the redundancy. On a proper set of doubles, there's a knob between the two tank valves. That way, if something goes wrong with one of your tanks, you can isolate them. This means that you can dive it as if it were one big tank normally, but split them up if something goes wrong. A proper set of doubles also has a set of stainless steel bands between them, allowing you to easily mount them to any BPW.

The tanks you show are practically one big tank, with two differences: Many say that the two small tanks fit closer to your back and are wider and are therefore more stable. But they're much more expensive than a single big tank.

If I were you, I'd either get a big, cheap tank or I'd get proper doubles.

When I look closely at the photo, it actually looks to be Photoshopped. Is this for real? It doesn't look like the valves are actually connected, and there would be no reason to have a setup like this. If this is really an item, would someone please post a link? You could do this a lot cheaper with 2 yoke tanks and a cheater bar.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom