Tips for organizing o-rings in regulator service kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There are many o-rings in reg service kits. Sometimes, o-rings for different components are very close in size.
E.g. an S-8-N85 oring and a AS568-011 o-ring look pretty similar.

What are the best practices, tips and tricks you know and use to help you ensure you don't install the wrong o-ring to the wrong part?

I currently use a vernier caliper to measure the ID and thickness of the o-rings, and count them out before I install them, to ensure I know which goes where. But this is a slow and tedious process.

Thanks!

A weekly medicine pill case makes a convenient container. If you must have more than one size o-ring sharing a compartment, have one large and one small in the same "day."

With the Zeagle, I just lay them out on the printed o-ring sheet that comes with the manual. I'm lazy.

If you are surprised by the sizes or specifications of o-rings in your regulator, then you may want to do some more research before you go to work. For many regulators, there is little chance of confusion. For others, you may find a -902 and a -010 or a 10V90 and a 10V75 are required. As long as you know this ahead of time, it is not hard to manage. You can feel the differences in hardness. And. while the difference in a 902 and a 010 is slight, it is recognizable if you know what you are looking for.

What uses a 902 off the top of your head?

(I have to use kits for liability purposes, but I do like to have spares for when I drop things.)

If you're working too quickly, one might find a similar size with a different durometer might be hard to recognize. I do the same as evad...placing the o-rings on the parts sheet in their right sizes and durometers during setup.

Keeping your workspace uncluttered helps to reduce confusion and mistakes.

What uses a 902 off the top of your head?

(I have to use kits for liability purposes, but I do like to have spares for when I drop things.)

Older Scubapro 2nds on the metal orifice. While a 010 may fit, they are usually noticably tight. (With a little effort, they go in; but can be a real bear to press back out.) I have actually damaged a 010 trying to install it on an older G250. The plastic orifice wants the 010.

Back
Top Bottom