Question about o-ring codes and measurements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I can find dimension charts for o-rings that are of the description "AS568-XX" where XX is a 2-3 digit number.

However there are some o-rings labeled S-8-N85 in my service kit. What is the difference between this and the AS568 o-rings and where can I find dimension charts for these?

Secondly, in my regulator parts manual, it lists "N" numbers after the o-ring description numbers. E.g. Viton o-ring AS568-112 N85.
What does this N85 mean? Some are N85, some are N70.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure the N85 and N70 are the durometer (hardness) measurement. Low pressure uses a slightly softer 70 or 75 duro o-ring while HP needs a harder 85 or 90 duro.

I agree with you Captain, but the OP clearly listed something as "Viton o-ring AS568-112 N85". It can't be both Viton and nitrile. I get mine from oringsusa.com and they are labeled V75 and V90. I haven't used a Buna ring in years.

I think it means the manual writer didn't know what they were talking about...

just a guess.

Thanks for the tip, so the "N" number denotes hardness.

Anyone has a clue about where to find a sizing chart for a "S-8-N85" o-ring?

Do you have a reading comprehension problem?

Which part have I misunderstood?

I'm pretty sure the N85 and N70 are the durometer (hardness) measurement. Low pressure uses a slightly softer 70 or 75 duro o-ring while HP needs a harder 85 or 90 duro.

I believe th N signifies nitrile(buna N) and the number is durometer hardness.

You have a nice day too.

The N85 could be a custom specification. If you order large amounts of o-rings (say your Scubapro) you can get them custom made to your exact specs. You are not going to easily find a viton duro 85 o-ring, I would substitute it with a duro 90 if it is going to see high pressure.

The AS568 is only one spec. There are other specs such as metric o-rings, a British spec, and mil specs. You may need to measure the o-ring to find a replacement. Alternatively, if the o-ring is neither cut nor distorted you could re-use it, especially if it is for a static application.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom