Scuba tank servicing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was recently given 2 tanks. They have been sitting around for awhile and need servicing. Is this something I can attempt myself or do I need special tools/certification to do this?

Any good resource on the web that shows how its done? Thanks.

If they need visual inspections, you will have to take it to a shop to be checked out, assuming you plan on getting fills somewhere other than your own compressor. If your cylinders need hydros, those have to go to a hydro facility. I'm assuming you're in the states, but if not, other rules may apply.

Visual inspections and valve servicing are not particularly hard, but if you don't know what you're doing you could effectively create a rocket if lucky, or a bomb if not.

The question is not "can I do it myself" but "is it financially feasible to do it myself". If you only have a couple tanks, then it is probably more affordable to take it to your LDS. Unless that is you have plenty of money to burn and don't mind spending it.

For visual inspections, to take a training class, the cost is usually around $200 to $350 depending on what organization you are taking it through and what the instructor charges. Classes are offered from organizations such as PSI/PCI and TDI. (Full disclosure, I am a PSI instructor so I am partial to that organization.) Additionally, there is a minimal cost for tools if you do not already have them such as a good tank inspection light, inspection mirror, and other tools that you might feel like buying such as a tumbler, whip, tank vice, Eddy Current machine, etc.

For hydros, you are looking at a much more substantial cost. To get fully set up as a hydro facility, you are looking at around $20,000 to $30,000 depending on what equipment you purchase (brand, new or used, shipping, etc), training on the equipment, tools, publications, and the required cost of the Independent Inspector looking at your facility for the DOT in order to certify you to receive a Retester Identification Number. Additionally, you need to figure in an annual expense of aprox $1000 for required calibrations, replacement parts, and maintenance. Additionally, the Independent Inspector needs to come out every 5 years to recertify your facility.

Feel free to PM me or email me if I can be any more assistance.

Myles TenBroeck
President, American Cylinder and Safety, LLC

tanktest@gmail.com

I was recently given 2 tanks. They have been sitting around for awhile and need servicing. Is this something I can attempt myself or do I need special tools/certification to do this?

Any good resource on the web that shows how its done? Thanks.

If you don't know how to do it, you should probably not be attempting it. Talk to your LDS, I'm sure they will be happy to do a service tech class for you to teach you how (but you will have to pay for it).

Back
Top Bottom