Touchup Paint for Faber Steel Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Guerrero

Contributor
Reaction score
So I have a set of faber steel tanks and they are bubbling at the bottom because the boots were left on. I'd like to chip away the bubbled paint (this is just spots of bubbling, not the entire bottom of the tank) and spray some protective coating over them.

I don't want to repaint the whole tank and I don't want to strip the whole tank. Any suggestions? I was thinking about buying some rustoleum at Home Depot for this, but not sure that's the best option.

I need something I can purchase relatively easily, like from Home Depot or an Auto Parts store like Auto Zone.

Thanks,

Mike

chip it off and leave it, a lot of shops won't vip tanks that have been repainted because it can mask rust underneath it. Chalk it up to battle scars and call it good.

I've used rust convertor (as precaution) followed by primer then plain white enamel to touch up (with a brush) small patches up to about 1", works fine. Tanks here get tested/hydro yearly with no problem.

Take a wire hand brush and get the big chunks/ flakes off. Dilute some metal conditioner ( I use DuPont 5717S) and scrub the area with a scotchbrite, feathering the edges to the good paint. Wipe off the the excess with clean shop towels ( I use the blue ones) and let it dry. Don't touch it with your fingers at this point. Hit it with some primer, then paint. It will never rust again.

A couple points to clarify. First, these are the grey OMS fabers, not the BS white ones. Second, there is no rust on these where the bubbles are. When I chip off the gray bubbles, there is a white paint coat underneath (probably the original Faber white :)). If I go deeper through the white there is another gray (which I assume is the galvanized layer they sprayed on these kinds of tanks).

I bought some Rust-Oleum Cold Galvanic Compound spray and Crystal Clear Enamel for about $9 from HD. Up to this point I've just been covering the spots with clear nail polish (my wife's, not my own).

If I don't spray the gray galvanized tank will those spots rust? I want to avoid these tanks rusting and don't really care what they look like.

the paint is purely cosmetic, as long as the base zinc isn't damaged they will be fine. I wouldn't use nail polish, no need. Just leave it, if it's going grey, white, grey, then just leave the white there, it'll be fine. The grey is just the cheap top coat delaminating, no need to worry about it

The gray and white are coming off together most places, exposing the zinc finish underneath. I'll keep an eye on it and if it starts to rust I'll treat it. Good thing I dive mostly fresh water.

Hmmm, well if it's not rusting, never mind then! I use that RO galvanizing spray over the date stamp when my tanks come out of hydro.

I have been using paint pens for painting over old hydro stamps. Nice and thck stuff or you can do thesame with a clear coat.

I have been using paint pens for painting over old hydro stamps. Nice and thck stuff or you can do thesame with a clear coat.

A Brass brush on old hydro stamps will remove any flash rust nicely. You won't remove any metal because the brass is a softer metal. That's a plus for longevity of the cylinder. Paint pens work well if you take your time.

Don't use any agressive chemicals.
letsparty.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom