Make dive wing retractable (or smaller when not fully inflated)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikkel-kj

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

i have bought a dive wing which is quite to big for me and my dive tanks.
So I'm planning to place some retractable robe or something around the bladder so it isn't so big when I'm not using it.
I'm using 2x7L and it can take a max of 2x12 or something, so its way to huge for me.
and yes i do know that many believes that it is a death trap, but i don't dive deep dives, or wreck dives, so please just try to let try this.
Do any of you have any suggestions to how i can make some spring go around the bladder?

Regards
Mikkel

selling it wont be an option unfortunately, it was given as partly a a present to me, and it would mean a lot to him if i used it, So i can not get myself to sell it.

So can't sell, any suggestions on how to use a retractable cord around it?

Regards
Mikkel

How would he feel if your contraption was even only partly to blame for an injury to you?

There is plenty of wings that have an elastic strap around it, so please do not come with all your "it's a death trap" I have heard them before just as many times as I have heard those who tell me that it isn't true.
and it will by the way also only be used on shallow dives, where I can easily swim to the surface incase of an emergency.

---------- Post added August 12th, 2014 at 10:34 AM ----------

There is plenty of wings that have an elastic strap around it, so please do not come with all your "it's a death trap" I have heard them before just as many times as I have heard those who tell me that it isn't true.
and it will by the way also only be used on shallow dives, where I can easily swim to the surface incase of an emergency.

Getting to the surface isn't the problem.............but you already know that.

I do already fit the wing.
i just want the bladder to be a held together when not fully inflated.

if you do not have any helpful things to write, please don't write anything okay?
Please stop with all the "you will die" and "buy a new one" because it's not going to happen.

If anyone want to help, please write something, if not..... Don't write.

I am diving a DiveRite Wreck series wing which comes with removable bungee (although they call it "Gusset Control System", I suspect to avoid the stigma of bungeed wing) and I love it. The wing comes with a number of eyelets through which the bungee passes; they ensure that the chord is kept in place and uniformly squeeze the air out (http://www.diverite.com/products/catalog/wings/bc4300). All other wings I know that have bungee have similar eyelets (e.g. OMS).

Although wrapping some bungee around your wing should not be difficult and using trial & error for the chord tension should produce some results, I guess the only concern -in the absence of these eyelets- would be how to ensure that the bungee remains uniformly coiled around the wing and does not move to a specific spot, restricting airflow and interfering with proper venting. Do you think you could add these eyelets yourself?

Yes I do believe that I can add some similar eyelets myself.
and I have thought about making something very similar to yours.
What is "stigma of bungeed wings" that I didn't understand fully.

How tight is your spring when the wing is empty?
How tight is it when fully inflated?

but thanks you actually helped me :)

Back
Top Bottom