Dive gear express 1st stage holding tool strips threads?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I have used the 1st stage holding tool I got from DGE to service 4 of my 1st stages and I noticed that each time, it strips metal from my regs.

This is the one I have:

https://www.divegearexpress.com/regulators/service.shtml
DX-70141 First Stage Body Holding Tool

Even when disassembling my 1st stage, it will strip bits of metal. It leaves bits and powdery metal inside the 1st stage body itself, and thin rings of stripped out metal on the tool threads.

When tightening (I use a torque wrench set to manufacturer specs), metal again will be removed.

I am just wondering if this is normal with other tools?

It seems only the innermost threads of the tool when screwed into the 1st stage strips metal, as the outer threads appear clean.

Thanks for your advice!

It's just a threaded shaft. You could also use a bolt. It is not meant to be tight enough to strip threads. Were the hoses too tight?

What brand of regulator are you servicing? It seems the threads are not the same...

They were HOG D1s

---------- Post added September 26th, 2014 at 02:22 PM ----------

It's just a threaded shaft. You could also use a bolt. It is not meant to be tight enough to strip threads. Were the hoses too tight?

The tool wasn't screwed in tight. I screw it in by hand and only gently tighten using the crossbar.
I suspect it may be caused by lateral forces when undoing various parts of the 1st stage?

The hoses were all tightened by hand, and then just 1/16 to 1/8 turn more with a wrench. Definitely not too tight.

You said "each time"... about how many would you say that is? Just thinking out loud but I wander if the tool is fairly new maybe there is some sort of excess coating/plating coming off. Just a thought.

Not the right threads on the tool. I have never seen this with the scubatools or holder from piranha. I do know the dgx in line tool will also not work properly on the hog second stage orifice. If you are actually removing material with the tool you are using you are also compromising the ability to keep the hose secure. You'll have to tighten them more each time until you can't. There should be no need to use that kind of force on a properly cared for and torqued to specs reg. This kind of damage from using a bad tool is also not covered under any warranty. All this is covered in the service class and also why there is a list of recommended tools. Some you can sub out. Most in fact, but I make specific recommendations on those alternatives as well to help avoid this type of thing from happening.

Maybe run a nut as well to put a little tension on the threads to prevent loose wobble?

Maybe run a nut as well to put a little tension on the threads to prevent loose wobble?
Bad idea. That will stretch the threads even more. You're messing with relatively soft brass. Not hardened steel. If there is wobble it's the wrong thread or the threads have been screwed up.

Regulators are simple mechanisms to repair. If there are metal particles in the equation, the first time that you noticed this should maybe have been the last time. There is NO reason to see metal shavings, chippings, whatevers - you have the wrong tools or you are doing something wrong.
And don't force anything either.

The shaft threads on DGX's tool look way to long. I have my Leverage Bar from Scubatool.com, there's about half the amount of threads on that bar.

Did you have any extra thread showing after the bar was screwed in? If so, all that means is the bar can be forced deeper past the point where it should sit. It is soft brass you're screwing into after all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom