apeks xtx 2nd stage barrel turning when tightening heat exchanger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StefinSB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, It seems to be a known feature that the barrel of the Apex 2nd stages (I have an xtx50) turns when tightening the heat exchanger nut. This consequently tilts the lever sideways. There seems no good location to get hold of the barrel to prevent that turning motion. What do guys do to deal with it?
TIA

how tight are you putting in in there? That nut is just to keep the barrel in, finger tight is plenty. I'm sure there's a torque spec for it somewhere, but just put it on finger tight then use the spanner to tighten the reg hose on until "snug" so it doesn't back off.

Thanks. I just gave it a nudge beyond fingertight. Maybe my nudge was too much .... Will try again. Thanks.

you can give it that little nudge, but it doesn't need it.
I don't have the XTX manual in front of me, but the ATX series was 45 inchlbs, which isn't a lot. The lever should hold itself from twisting in the slots to that torque level.

Thx. Yes, the manual states 5 Nm (45 in/lbs) which is indeed not a lot. Lever looks much better now. Probably a mm difference between the to feet touching the diaphragm. There is play in that slot. Not sure if that is manufacturing tolerance or not.

You need some play to get it in there. It's interesting to see how much torque you put on things when you think you're putting a lot less. Just throw a deep socket on there and see if it moves under the torque spec. If it does, you can usually torque to spec, then loose very slowly and it will come back without loosening the nut.

StefinSB

Had some friendly discussion with an English guy in http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/483243-who-knows-apeks-stuff.html

Maybe this answering something.

Concerning the torque, it's in the thread, but here you find it easier directly, http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=185290&d=1401215995

If I see that I have twisted the lever position a bit, I just carefully move the screw back. The tension usually is enough to move also the tube with the lever back into the correct position.

Back
Top Bottom