DIY "cinch" Quick Adjust DIR Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divetech99

Contributor
Reaction score
Halcyon has their Cinch system which allows diver to easily don/dof and adjust the fit of their gear. Unfortunately it only works with Halcyon backplates. :(.

1. Has anyone tried making their own DIY quick adjust harness system (DIR setup)?

2. Without the "cinch" system, can I achieve some level of adjustment by adjusting how the threading of the harness webbing is laced at the waist portion of the backplate?

Frankly, it's not needed. If you can, get someone experienced (a GUE instructor would be ideal) to help you adjust your harness.
When properly adjusted it should be easy enough to don/doff and still be stable in the water.
The trick is to get it as loose as possible and yet be snug with your arms forward in a horizontal position.

The problem with the cinch (or other similar systems ), that I've seen is that you don't get consistent tensioning on the straps (ie, crooked harnesses).

If you adjust the harness without the cinch, add in keepers 'upstream' of the cinch on the shoulder straps. Then install the cinch system.

What this does, is when you cinch the system up, it goes as far as the keepers, which has been adjusted to your proper shoulder strap length.

BRad

'm wondering if I can just thread the webbing in the bottom portion (waist area) over only one of the diagonal slot on the backplate instead of threading the webbing through the two slots. This, I assume, will allow the webbing to slide easily and permit me to loosen or tighten the harness as if I had a cinch. Then install a triglide as a stopper to prevent over-loosening of the waist portion of the harness.

Any thoughts if this will work?

Halcyon has their Cinch system which allows diver to easily don/dof and adjust the fit of their gear. Unfortunately it only works with Halcyon backplates. :(.

1. Has anyone tried making their own DIY quick adjust harness system (DIR setup)?

2. Without the "cinch" system, can I achieve some level of adjustment by adjusting how the threading of the harness webbing is laced at the waist portion of the backplate?

Check out what the folks at UTD have done UTD Online Store - +1 855 DIVEUTD (348-3883) or +1 760 585-9676 - sales@utdequipment.com If you have access to an industrial sewing machine, you can make one for the price of 18" of webbing, a couple "D" rings and a couple tri-glides. I put mine only on the right side and I'm very happy. In a drysuit, I have difficulty getting my shoulder out of the harness, this makes it a snap. Your one piece webbing is not cut, and no new failure points are added

I looked into Agir's, Halcyon's and UTD's and liked UTDs the best. All this was done only through screens. Never had any real ones in my hand. I already bought all the materials to make my diy version of utds. Still haven't gotten to it because I honestly don't need it. A fixed harness works great for me. I'm just curious about it and thought I'd try it. Here are some videos:

[video=youtube_share;uiohItk1wNw]http://youtu.be/uiohItk1wNw[/video]

[video=youtube_share;dEMy5KhKGkw]http://youtu.be/dEMy5KhKGkw[/video]

I'm a pretty simple person and can only come up with two significant reasons for having an easily adjustable harness on a BP/W:

a. Arm/shoulder issue preventing full range of motion; or

b. BP/W used by several people.

If "a" then you need to have one shoulder strap adjustable, if "b" then both AND the crotch strap need to be easily adjustable.

In either case, there are two easy fixes and they depend on whether you want to cut the webbing or keep the continuous harness.

If you are an "a" and want to keep continuous webbing, using a fastex (sp?) system on one side (right?) will allow you to unsnap several inches of webbing for doff/donning and then snap it back to the right size.

If you are a "b" and thus need to be able to quickly adjust, I'd suggest using cutting the shoulder webbing on both sides and using a belt buckle which allows for very quick and easy adjustment. You can also make the crotch strap easily adjustable by putting a belt buckle on it at the plate end.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom