Scubapro BC material and best adhesive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave148

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I originally posted this in the BC forum. But that was probably a mistake.

Years ago I repaired an orange Stability Jacket with some seam tape I got from the local dive shop, and some some very special adhesive. The adhesive may have been a 3M product. It came in a small, maybe 1 qt. paint-type can, and toluene was the solvent base. I don't remember what the product number was, but It worked great. I was able to replace all of the tape on the jacket (normal worn fold edge problem on the Stab. Jackets) with the new tape, and the BC was usable after that.

If I remember correctly, the original Stability Jackets were made from some material typically used for inflatable boats. Hypalon maybe? The Hypalon adhesives I have found include Stabond Shore Clifton, and 3M 5200. The 5200 comes in a tube, not in a can, so I have no idea if this is the same stuff I used that worked so well before.

I noticed the Scubapro Classic BCs have a seam that looks very similar to the ones I repaired on the Stability Jacket. The exposed seams are over each shoulder, right under the hose retaining straps, then there are two more seams on the bottom of the shoulder portion. Anyone know if the Classic BCs use a similar material as the older Stability Jacket? In particular, does anyone know what would be
the best adhesive to fix locations where the seam tape is peeling? Ideally, I would find out what Scubapro is gluing the seams with in manufacturing.

Hi i would recommend the aquashure or aquaseal(both are same) should be best soulition , you can also use it with aquatape .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom