Installing a regulator/inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DMC

New
Reaction score
Hello
Ive just gotten a brand new Seaquest Airsource regulator / inflator from dive shop thats closing. I wanted to install it on my brand new Mares BCD. WHen I pulled of the inflator of the corregated hose of the BCD and tried to put on the inflator/reg it didnt fit. The O.D. on the inflator is larger than the I.D. of the hose. I called Seaquest and they sent me away with no help. The hose that comes from Seaquest will fit the regulator but then not the BCD. How can I install it safely and maintain the dump feature. :06:

They really screwed me here

HELP :06:

How intent you are to install the Airsource? ... the only option you would have would be to replace the corrugated hose with one that has an ID large enough to accomodate the Airsource... then you'd have to replace the elbow / dump at the other end of the corrugated hose (because the original Mares one would now be too small for the new corrugated hose)... and you'd need to make sure that the new elbow / dump had matching threads to the original Mares male thread / gasket portion that's fused on to your BCD ... so it's possible to install it, but might not be worth the cost or the end result you desire.

I think the Dive Gods are telling you to get a real regulator, and not to risk your life with an integrated second stage/inflator.

When I looked at the Atomic equivalent of the Air Source, an adapter kit was included to allow fitting to an array of different inflator hose diameters. Unfortunately, the Air source does not come with such a kit.

I wonder if any of the components in that Atomic kit would be useful here...

JAG

Thanks for the reply guys. All good stuff. Unfortunately giving up is an option I usally reserve for the end. Am I at the end? :06:

I am still looking around for some adapter as was mentioned in the thread( I 'll look at Atomic)

Im curious why some feel that this does not perform like a "Real Regulator" as a backup. Most people Ive spoke to that have one love it. I guess there are horror stories with anything.

I also want to empahasize that when dealing with Seaquest customer service I was made to feel like a scab. It will be my last purchase of any of their products.

DMC:
Im curious why some feel that this does not perform like a "Real Regulator" as a backup. Most people Ive spoke to that have one love it. I guess there are horror stories with anything.
This is something good to search on, there's many discussions about the pros and cons.

It's not about performance. It's about taking shortcuts with hose configurations, which I equate to taking shortcuts with your life, for NO VIABLE PURPOSE.

Why is this any better than a traditional regulator with two second stages? Can someone answer that for me? Especially considering that if your inflator valve starts to free flow, the only way to fix that is to DISCONNECT your LIFE SUPPORT?

No way... not on my gear.

I had an integrated inflator. Dove it once, really wasn't happy with it. Just not practical, and I want a quality backup reg. As soon as the budget afforded I bought a proper backup.

I'm not saying giving up cause its a hard solution to solve, I'm saying give up cause it's not necessarily a solution you want to solve.

I used an Airsource for a while ... but I also had a standard octopus... logged allot of dives on the airsource and never had a single problem with it... but I don't think I would have gone purely with an integrated inflator in lieu of an octo.

Ok again this is good advice and I appreciate the input
I am still researching the pros and cons of wheather I want to install it. In parallel I want to explore my orifginal question which was HOW TO INSTALL IT (see original question)
I welcome any advice and I think its all helpful even when we stray off the point. In my opinon there is not such thing as a bad knowlege. all knowlege is good its just in how you use it.
poetic huh?

Back
Top Bottom