DIY undies...fleece source

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Sure it's gonna' be 97 degrees out today, but I'm already thinking about this winters diving. I need better dry suit undies for the 36 degree water temps, so I'm thinking about making some 400g thick fleece under-ware using the materials and a sewing pattern (actually, the Mrs. will do the sewing).
Can anyone suggest a source of small quantities of 4g fleece (that IS the thickest, right?)?
Any other suggestions?

Rick Inman:
Sure it's gonna' be 97 degrees out today, but I'm already thinking about this winters diving. I need better dry suit undies for the 36 degree water temps, so I'm thinking about making some 400g thick fleece under-ware using the materials and a sewing pattern (actually, the Mrs. will do the sewing).
Can anyone suggest a source of small quantities of 4g fleece (that IS the thickest, right?)?
Any other suggestions?
I might be able to tell you over dinner;^)

Check with Jo-Anns. They have one here on 4th and a few in Spokane. One in on Division up by Northtown.

Gary D.

Gary D.:

Check with Jo-Anns. They have one here on 4th and a few in Spokane. One in on Division up by Northtown.

Gary D.

I agree with Gary, check the fabric shops they should have what you need. You might want to get a serger for better seams if you don't have one.

Gary D.:

Gary D.
Would that be garlic fleece??

Went to Jo-Anns already, and the stuff they have looks like 100gram cheepo, and the ladies there have no clue as to weight, etc.
Gary, what kind of undies do you guys wear in the winter (I mean, DIVING, of course!)?

Rick Inman:
Would that be garlic fleece??

Went to Jo-Anns already, and the stuff they have looks like 100gram cheepo, and the ladies there have no clue as to weight, etc.
Gary, what kind of undies do you guys wear in the winter (I mean, DIVING, of course!)?
Fuzzy thong;^)

I think mine is 200 or 300. I know it's not 400. That stuff is way to warm for me. I'll take a look later and see if the tag is still on it.

Gary D.

We have the right stuf at Walmart arround here.

Seabear70:
We have the right stuf at Walmart arround here.
Really? I can buy from Walmart online, could you be more specific? Is it the material? How many grams?
Thanks!

Just a couple suggestions. What about just buying some fleece clothing.
Old Navy always has tons of fleece stuff on sale and I would imagine a lot of snow ski gear is on sale everywhere, which would include a lot of polar fleece and moisture wicking undergarments.
I bought a polar fleece pullover at old navy last year for something like $3 or $4 and cut the sleeves off to make it a vest for layering on cold days.
However, if you do find a good source for fleece, be sure to let us know. Might be a good project for really cold winter days when I'm not diving.
Justin

Jo-Ann at least by me does seem to mostly carry the cheapo/junky fleece. If I was going to take the time to sew I'd buy better stuff.

Check Seattle Fabrics http://www.seattlefabrics.com, all sorts of outdoorsy fabrics mail order, they also have a store but at the other end of the state from you.

Also http://www.maldenmillsstore.com/ (lucky me, I can drive to the MA factory outlet.)

Or http://www.nancysnotions.com

The idea of looking for a deal on fleece clothing might be cheapest, especially if you're not fussy about color.

Rick Inman:
Really? I can buy from Walmart online, could you be more specific? Is it the material? How many grams?
Thanks!
400 gram polar fleece or higher should do the job I would think.

Back
Top Bottom