DUI FLX Extreme Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCU5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Let's face it, DUI has been in the dive industry as long as anyone and longer than most. That said, I've seen almost no reviews of their FLX Extreme Drysuit which has been out for several years now and is the preferred suit of many active divers who dive DUI suits. I have been diving a TLS350 Signature Series for the past 4 years and several hundred dives and that, being my only drysuit previously, will be my basis for comparison for the FLX. I've tried to be as objective as possibly in my review but must admit that all my dealings with the staff at DUI have been extremely positive which does make me a bit partial to the brand.

Configuration:
I ordered my FLX with Silicone neck and wrist seals, two DUI bellows pockets, Apex high profile dump valve, TurboTec Soles, full tough duck overlay and a recent addition to their stable, the TIZIP! My TLS was very similar in construction but had Halcyon pockets, a cloverleaf crotch pad, MexicoMod turbo soles, and of course the YKK metal zip.

Material:
This is the big question in most divers minds, and mine too. How does the FLX material compare to the TLS and vice versa. I should start off by saying, I had very few problems with my TLS and I didn't baby it - I dove it in salt water and freshwater, caves, boats, livebaboards, beach dives. I tried to rinse it regularly but it would get hung out in the sun to dry after a day's worth of diving. I had a couple holes and a couple seams that lifted a bit, after around 200 dives. DUI was great and stepped up and sorted me out in no time with great customer service.

The material on the FLX is slightly heavier and feels much more robust. I didn't notice any meaningful loss of flexibility or movement and could reach my valves just as well as in my TLS. The additional 1.5lbs of weight is negligible, and worth it for the increased robustness. The glue seems to stick much better on the inside of the suit and I can't see seam-lifts being an issue on this suit.

I have only 10 dives on the suit but before purchasing I questioned many instructors who had been diving the suit for a number of years with many hundreds of dives what their thoughts were and their response was overwhelmingly positive. All the benefits of the TLS, more reliable, more resistant to leaks, with none of the drawbacks was echoed by everyone.

TurboTec Soles:
Honestly, I was recommended these but a bit hesitant to order them - I had the MexicoMod soles which have extra layers of CF200 material on the high wear areas and felt it lacked some flexibility and felt a bit cramped at times. I did appreciate their added robustness but felt that it did come at a cost of a tighter fit which could be tough with thick socks. The TurboTec are much more comfortable! The kevlar is flexible and not stiff like I imagined, and the boots feel very comfortable easy to fit in my jetfins. I'm glad I made this upgrade, I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform with more dives going forward.

Fit:
DUI is known for getting a good fit on their custom suits and mine was no exception. I got it cut for a XM450 Thinsulate undergarment but often dive an XM250 or lighter polartec when the water's are warm. The suit fits very well with full range of movement but not so loose that you feel it is extremely baggy. When I wear my XM450 it is a perfect fit. The only thing I would adjust would be having the sleeves taken in an inch or so, as they are just a hair long but no complaints about that. The legs are the perfect length and the fit around the torso is very good, not too tight, not too loose.

Silicone Zip Seals:
I've been diving a Silicone neck seal for a year or two and well over a hundred dives. Quite simply, I love the thing. I used to get wicked neck rash from latex, and Neoprene, while warm, is not as comfortable in my opinion. I can't imagine diving any other seal at this point, I've gone from one or two long dives in latex and a hangman's neck to 3 days of 4 dives a day saltwater liveaboards with no neck irritation at all, a clear win in my book. This is my first set of Silicone wrist seals so time will tell, so far I like them and they leak less than other seals I've used, hopefully they will prove as reliable as the Silicone neck seal.

Pockets:
The new DUI Exploration Pockets are, let's face it, nearly identical to Halcyon Exploration pockets - which is not a bad thing, as I loved the Halcyon pockets on my TLS! One thing that Karim did on this suit, is he had the suit made with the pockets much higher up on my hips, as opposed to DUI's stock position further down on the thighs. I really prefer this position, hopefully DUI makes this the stock position going forward as it really is much more comfortable and makes reaching your pocket contents that much easier.

TiZIP:
I believe I'm one of the first production DUI owners with a TiZIP installed at the factory and I'm glad that I got this on my suit. They initially had to delay production a bit as they were sorting out the best glue mixture to ensure a strong bond to the material - which was fine with me. I like that they thoroughly test their products before putting them into production. So far I like the zipper, it has been dry and seems easy to maintain. I will post back after I have more time on the suit.

Customer Service:
Janet Mariscal at DUI was great to work with and always extremely responsive to my questions about my FLX and TLS. The fact that they are in San Diego makes it easy for me, in LA, to communicate with them as well. Karim Hamza at Hollywood Divers also deserves a shout-out as a great guy to work with, he also spent a ton of time answering my emails, texts, as well as taking a good chunk of time to measure me and discuss the finer points of the suit.

Conclusion:
Like I said, I've tried to be as objective as possible in my review of my FLX Extreme and time will tell how this suit performs; I assume it will hold up as well as my TLS and in all likelihood fair much better over the years and many dives I plan to put on it. The material seems to be a great upgrade over the TLS, netting one a more robust, reliable suit with virtually no drawbacks and similar flexibility. I like the new TurboTec Soles and new Exploration pockets - and the fact that I can now order a TiZIP on the suit is great! I also am a big believer in the Silicone Neck Zipseal, just much more comfortable and without the wicked rash I used to get from Latex. The icing on the cake is of course the great customer service, from both Janet at DUI and Karim at Hollywood Divers - this is an expensive purchase and it's great to deal with people who want to make sure you get exactly what you are looking for.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with DUI, Hollywood Divers or any dive shop, manufacturer and have no conflicts of interest - I've tried to be as objective as possible in my review and hope you find it useful; I'm just a diver sharing his 2c.

TiZIP!!!
IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

Thanks for your review! This was very helpful. I am right now in the process of upgrading to a DUI but I am torn between the TLS and FLX Extreme. I would mostly dive it in Hawaii for my long exposure rebreather dives and then in Southern California when I go back home. I really like the robustness of the FLX because I do see myself taking it in caves and my dive partner and I will be doing some more exploration off Big Island. I tried both these suites on in San Diego and I was really impressed with the TLS, it felt like I was wearing nothing! Would you recommend the FLX? And it sounds like you definitely recommend the TiZip?

Thanks for your help!

Hi Tyler,
i would definitely recommend the FLX. It weighs 1-2lbs more than the TLS but the added robustness is really worth it in my opinion. If you blindfolded me and put me in the water with one of these suits I don't think I would be able to tell you which suit I have on, they do feel incredibly similar underwater.

I have about 15 hours on the FLX now and really enjoy the fit and flexibility - I don't think I gave up anything but gained a lot in terms of reliability. If I was getting another suit I wouldn't even consider the TLS, not that it is a bad suit at all, it's just the FLX is much better, in my opinion.

i would recommend the cloverleaf crotch pad if you wear a crotch strap or intend to scooter, it seems you can get some wear in that part of the suit without it. I'm having one added to my suit. I also like the tizip, although, my experience is fairly limited. I have many friends who have enjoyed the tizip so I think it's a safe bet; lighter, more flexible and less maintenance involved than the metal zip.

Good luck with your purchase!

Thank you for your quick reply Jimmy! I do use my CUDA on our tech dives, good tip on the crotch pad - will definitely look into that. I actually have one more question, I was looking into the Turbo Tec but I am between those and the rock boots. Do you have any experience in the rock boots? Thanks!!!

I don't have experience with the rock boots. I do like the turbo tec soles though I've only had limited experience with them, however, I had quite a number of dives on my previous turbo soles and liked them a lot.

Gotcha. Thanks a lot Jimmy!

The FLX dries very quickly. If my TLS was dry in 45 minutes I'd say the FLX is dry in around 55 minutes - that is to say, the difference in drying time between the two is not really noticeable.

Now that I have some more time on the suit I wanted to post a short update to my review above. I have around 30 hours on the suit now, not as much as I'd like but enough to be able to update my thoughts. I've also started to use their 11mm Hood so I'll include that as well.

The 11mm DUI Hood: This hood replaced my 5/10mm Waterproof hood which replaced my 12mm Otter Bay. I really like it; it's stretchy, the face opening neoprene is 7mm and the rest of the hood is 11mm from the top of the head down to where it meets the skirt. I can't do a direct apples to apples comparison to my Waterproof as that hood had 150+ dives on it and was getting fairly thin; and the Otter Bay, while very nicely made, just wasn't quite as comfortable. I cut the skirt off all my hoods as I don't find them to be worth the time spent tucking them in as they usually come loose anyways. Overall the hood is warm, comfortable and my new go-to hood. If you're in the market for a thick, cold-water hood, it definitely delivers.

The FLX Extreme: The suit is still bone dry and very comfortable. It still looks like new, in fact, and dives that way as well. I did have the cloverleaf crotch pad added to the suit as I've heard of scooter divers getting friction wear there, and would recommend that addition for anyone diving the suit regularly with a scooter. The tizip has been flawless thus far as well but I have heard stories from other users of tizip (not related to DUI) that there have been increasing issues with the zips. Something to bare in mind if ordering a new suit.

I still really like the Turbo Tec Soles and Exploration Pockets. The Turbo Tec Soles are comfortable and flexible while seemingly being extremely durable as well. I was initially worried they'd be stiff and uncomfortable, this has not been the case. The Exploration Pockets are great as well, giving me plenty of room to store dive necessities. I'm still using the initial set of Silicone neck seals; I'm a convert and believer in Silicone neck seals in particular. I no longer get the wicked neck rash I used to get with Latex and the seal is more comfortable and waterproof than neoprene. Going forward I plan to continue to use the silicone seals on my neck and wrists.

You can see the suit (and hood) in action below at the 6:05 and 7:25 marks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld_3G-nVFuE

Are you using the suit mainly for diving from a boat or shore? I am interested in know if the turbo tec boots are suitable for somebody who does mostly diving from shore/rocks or if I should go for "Rock Boots." The standard sole boots are no good for shore/rocky entries in my experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom