Scratched/Chipped Lens Port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gujustud

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well I guess it was only a matter of time.

But seriously, after 5 dives?

I recently purchased the 16mm wide angle for my S95 recsea housing about 2 weeks ago. I flew to Cancun for a wedding, then came over to Cozumel to do some diving before going home. The company I dove with had a wash bucket for camera on the first day, so I didn't think anything of it.

On the second day, when I came up from my first dive, I passed up my housing to the boatman who I later found he put it LENS side down on the FLOOR of the boat under the seats where there was some other gear. There was no wash bucket on board. I didn't notice this when we started as I was holding onto my camera when we started off, as it was quite rocky.

I didn't notice anything wrong at the moment (since the camera was wet) but once I got back to my hotel and cleaned my gear, I noticed the chip in the middle of the dome port along with a few scratches.

For photo this is fine as it 'can' be photoshopped out, but I shoot a lot of video, and it is clearly unusable in video mode as you can notice the large chip in the middle of the screen.

I went over to the diveshop in the evening to talk to them, but there was only one person there (not in charge of things). He told me that I need to request a wash bucket. Hmmm did they not notice this when I went over there with a pelican case of camera gear? Or after the first day when they DID have a wash bucket?

I'm heading over there right now to pay as I am leaving today and I'm going to see what they are willing to do.

What options do I have now for the port? SOL? can Dyron replace/fix the port?

Back
Top Bottom