hog second stage question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like being able to de-tune my bungeed backup by turning a knob. When not in use it is less likely to free flow, yet when needed it can be opened up and breathe easily at depth.

Shortly there will be two HOG second stages on my singles rig. The price is right, the quality seems to be there, and the rebuild kits are available and cost effective. Everything one needs in a top reg at reasonable pricing.

I have considered it but dismissed it for the following reasons

1/ as Peter said, you just detune your bungeeded backup, in fact in high flow you NEED to be able to do so.

2/ the cost to me was virtually the same, with the way I price things there would be absolutely no cost benefit to anybody. Other companies will price products according to how they want it "positioned" in the marketplace, in fact I have seen where products that cost less are "placed" as higher price point units than better performing and less expensive same line products. I have even seen higher manuf cost units positioned at lower price points than lower performing, lower cost units. I actually price according to what it cost me and my required return, not what I "think" I can get away with or create false price stratification.

IMO that would actually make it less useful as a deco/backup reg. The ability to detune it for freeflow prevention and at the same time have it easily adjustable back to a high performance it what I want in a backup/deco reg. Considering the post from cerich, there is no good reason not to keep it adjustable.

IMO that would actually make it less useful as a deco/backup reg. The ability to detune it for freeflow prevention and at the same time have it easily adjustable back to a high performance it what I want in a backup/deco reg. Considering the post from cerich, there is no good reason not to keep it adjustable.

I pretty much agree with this. If anything the ability to detune is a bonus on a deco reg that most just live without because it's not available on the cheap low end regs that most people use for a deco reg...the fact that you can get a reg like this for near the same price of what most companies price their entry regs for is like christmas 365 lol

And hannukah and kwaanza as well! I just for shiites and giggles took mine apart this morning. Can't dive today due to other stuff and I'm waiting for my new drysuit to get here. But they are well built, easy to work on, and easy to adjust. I set the IP's after finding that the one I have on my back up was a little higher than I like. But now they are both right on 140 +/- a lb . Took all of 3 minutes for both regs. Hell putting em on my bench tank took longer than the adjustment! Which by the way is very responsive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom