EDGE and HOG Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
It has come to my attention that some competing brands have been telling dive stores that EDGE/HOG will no longer be offering Drysuits due to legal and patent issues

That is INCORRECT.

To set the record 100% clear.

The HOG Drysuit was sourced by EDGE from a Manufacture that held a license to produce Drysuits using a material that another party has a patent on. I was assured repeatably that there was NO patent issue....

Anyhow, the patent holder and another brand(go figure) decided there was a issue. Once I was informed there was the possibility of some basis to those claims I IMMEDIATELY stopped offering and producing HOG suits in the material in question. In addition I was offered the opportunity to purchase a license for something like 5k up front (actually upon thinking about it it was 10K) and $25-30 (can't remember the exact #) a suit. I countered with 1k and $45 a suit which I never heard back...:shakehead: Considering the patent as it applies to Drysuits expires 20 years from filing and is now pretty much exactly 18 years since then I felt that was a fair offer.

Anyhow, in the mean time it seems the complaining competing brand is spreading all kinds of stuff. I was planning to ignore it as isolated, however I have now heard it from shops located virtually all over the US, from the Southeast to Northwest and all points in between. So now you all know the whole story.

HOG suits are still produced, still in a mid weight HIGHLY robust material here in the USA and come with a Lifetime Warranty on the seams.

To my loyal EDGE Dealers and consumers, be assured that EDGE/HOG HIGHLY respects Intellectual Property and will always strive to do the right thing. What EDGE will not do is be sit silently while being bullied.

Last edited:
I don't know, I'm still not convinced, I think you need to send me an evaluation drysuit so I can test the quality and manufacturing... :wink:

I think these "other brands" are starting to feel the pressure a little.

Perhaps they thought if they just ignored you then you'd go away??

Shame other's can't do business in an ethical way as well!

If the 'other brands' would be creative and innovative, they would be coming up with new products that they could be confident in, rather than trying to protect something that was 'new' almost two decades ago.

Sounds like a reasonable counter-offer was made, ignoring it is just another way to make sure they don't have to deal with competition.

Hey hey hey 2 years later patent has expired and looky looky suits are back to the same material :wink:

Bacon tastes better then cool aid any day of the week :wink:

Back
Top Bottom