how thick is the inner bladder in hog 32# wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

220 denier

well it is what the inner bladder is made of. I also googled it and found quite a bit that explained it further.

What exactly are you trying to find out? If just thickness I can measure it but why? It could be thick as all get out and still not be durable if the right material wasn't used. In addition the outer bladder plays into things...

By refering to the inner bladder in terms of denier, I would assume it is made from a woven fabric (as opposed to the commonly seen sheet polyurethane).

All the best, James

well it is what the inner bladder is made of. I also googled it and found quite a bit that explained it further.

What exactly are you trying to find out? If just thickness I can measure it but why? It could be thick as all get out and still not be durable if the right material wasn't used. In addition the outer bladder plays into things...

I was just trying to understand your answer. I thought I understood "220 denier" to be a fabric material, perhaps nylon, and requires some type of coating to be sealed. I understood 220 to be a relatively light material. Many BCDs that I am familiar with are bladderless, being made of coated nylon materials - often 220 or 440 denier. I do have one wing that has a nylon shell and a urethane bladder. I don't believe I have seen a BCD that uses an outer shell and a separate inner bladder that also uses a denier material. I agree, thickness is not necessarily the key. I would probably focus more on durability, puncture resistance, and weight.

I was just trying to understand your answer. I thought I understood "220 denier" to be a fabric material, perhaps nylon, and requires some type of coating to be sealed. I understood 220 to be a relatively light material. Many BCDs that I am familiar with are bladderless, being made of coated nylon materials - often 220 or 440 denier. I do have one wing that has a nylon shell and a urethane bladder. I don't believe I have seen a BCD that uses an outer shell and a separate inner bladder that also uses a denier material. I agree, thickness is not necessarily the key. I would probably focus more on durability, puncture resistance, and weight.

My inner bladder is made exactly like bladderless BCD's, the reason I don't do urethane only inner bladders is that my experience has shown me that they can get pinched and cut fairly easily. By doing it the way I do I make a much more durable wing.

Woof. Or should that be weft?

A denier is a unit of measurement for the linear density of fibers used on single and dual filament fibers, equal to the mass in grams per 9000 meters. One strand of silk (the standard) that is 9000 meters long weighs 1 gram and has a denier of one. The formula for calculating the diameter (thickness) of a filament with a known denier (where where ρ represents the material's density in grams per cubic centimeter and the diameter is in cm):

7ed760a9abc8cbe406b5f297e357c3cf.png

Which is to say that OP asked the wrong question when he wanted to know how "thick" the material is, although it was an understandable error. As the threads (yarn) of a woven fabric overlay each other the thickness will vary by at least 100%, making thickness a difficult and relatively pointless measurement. The fabric characteristics we're really interested in include the tensile strength, tear strength, pliability, adhesion qualities, resistance to chemicals and radiation, just to name a few.

More is not always better: too heavy (a better way to think of denier than "thick") and the fabric loses it's pliability and tote-ability. Nobody wants a wing that is as stiff as their BCD webbing or one that causes hernias when picked up. Compromises have to be made and 220 denier is a popular balance of durability, flexibility and weight for BCD wings.

Why the talk about the outer cover? I'm interested in the bladder as well. Thinking about buying a spare for just in case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom