Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: how thick is the inner bladder in hog 32# wing?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    Photos

how thick is the inner bladder in hog 32# wing?

how thick is the innner bladder in the hog 32# wing?

Advisor

loose cannon on deck!

220 denier
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell

Given that our biggest fear, death, is inescapable, doesn’t it seem ridiculous to let our smaller fears dictate how we live our too short lives? -Me

“It is said that power corrupts, but actually it's more true that power attracts the corruptible. The sane are usually attracted by other things than power.” -- David Brin

Registered

hasn't set a status.

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by cerich View Post
    220 denier
    What does that mean?

First hit on google for "220 denier": https://www.paradisebuying.com/featu...20-denier.html
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Advisor

loose cannon on deck!

well it is what the inner bladder is made of. I also googled it and found quite a bit that explained it further.

What exactly are you trying to find out? If just thickness I can measure it but why? It could be thick as all get out and still not be durable if the right material wasn't used. In addition the outer bladder plays into things...
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell

Given that our biggest fear, death, is inescapable, doesn’t it seem ridiculous to let our smaller fears dictate how we live our too short lives? -Me

“It is said that power corrupts, but actually it's more true that power attracts the corruptible. The sane are usually attracted by other things than power.” -- David Brin

isn't going to set a status.

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by awap View Post
    What does that mean?

First hit on google for "220 denier": https://www.paradisebuying.com/featu...20-denier.html
    Whoa, awesome. I totally messed up when I got a Halcyon wing...

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    By refering to the inner bladder in terms of denier, I would assume it is made from a woven fabric (as opposed to the commonly seen sheet polyurethane).

All the best, James
    James Flenner

Finally, I found a quote that's worthy of a sig line snippet:

"Deep Monterey diving is so beautiful it almost hurts." HBDiveGirl

Registered

hasn't set a status.

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by cerich View Post
    well it is what the inner bladder is made of. I also googled it and found quite a bit that explained it further.

What exactly are you trying to find out? If just thickness I can measure it but why? It could be thick as all get out and still not be durable if the right material wasn't used. In addition the outer bladder plays into things...
    I was just trying to understand your answer. I thought I understood "220 denier" to be a fabric material, perhaps nylon, and requires some type of coating to be sealed. I understood 220 to be a relatively light material. Many BCDs that I am familiar with are bladderless, being made of coated nylon materials - often 220 or 440 denier. I do have one wing that has a nylon shell and a urethane bladder. I don't believe I have seen a BCD that uses an outer shell and a separate inner bladder that also uses a denier material. I agree, thickness is not necessarily the key. I would probably focus more on durability, puncture resistance, and weight.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Advisor

loose cannon on deck!

Quote Originally Posted by awap View Post
    I was just trying to understand your answer. I thought I understood "220 denier" to be a fabric material, perhaps nylon, and requires some type of coating to be sealed. I understood 220 to be a relatively light material. Many BCDs that I am familiar with are bladderless, being made of coated nylon materials - often 220 or 440 denier. I do have one wing that has a nylon shell and a urethane bladder. I don't believe I have seen a BCD that uses an outer shell and a separate inner bladder that also uses a denier material. I agree, thickness is not necessarily the key. I would probably focus more on durability, puncture resistance, and weight.
    My inner bladder is made exactly like bladderless BCD's, the reason I don't do urethane only inner bladders is that my experience has shown me that they can get pinched and cut fairly easily. By doing it the way I do I make a much more durable wing.
    awap, Aqua-Andy and zoom5 like this.

Scuba Instructor

is.

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    Woof. Or should that be weft?

A denier is a unit of measurement for the linear density of fibers used on single and dual filament fibers, equal to the mass in grams per 9000 meters. One strand of silk (the standard) that is 9000 meters long weighs 1 gram and has a denier of one. The formula for calculating the diameter (thickness) of a filament with a known denier (where where ρ represents the material's density in grams per cubic centimeter and the diameter is in cm):

Name:  7ed760a9abc8cbe406b5f297e357c3cf.png
Views: 134
Size:  1.3 KB

Which is to say that OP asked the wrong question when he wanted to know how "thick" the material is, although it was an understandable error. As the threads (yarn) of a woven fabric overlay each other the thickness will vary by at least 100%, making thickness a difficult and relatively pointless measurement. The fabric characteristics we're really interested in include the tensile strength, tear strength, pliability, adhesion qualities, resistance to chemicals and radiation, just to name a few.

More is not always better: too heavy (a better way to think of denier than "thick") and the fabric loses it's pliability and tote-ability. Nobody wants a wing that is as stiff as their BCD webbing or one that causes hernias when picked up. Compromises have to be made and 220 denier is a popular balance of durability, flexibility and weight for BCD wings.
    awap, couv and aquaregia like this.
    Gone diving.

ScubaBoard Supporter
    Go Red - Support SB!

On the road.....

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Why the talk about the outer cover? I'm interested in the bladder as well. Thinking about buying a spare for just in case.

If you haven't done it, please think about supporting SB, this is a great place to hang, and as a supporter it's only $3.95/mo. Just go to the "community" tab and "Go red". Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast