is the finish on my hog spg supposed to look like this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A little over a month ago, I got a hog black spg just in time for a liveaboard dive trip. So I went diving. Partway through the trip, I noticed that the finish on the case looks a little funky, especially on the back. The best description I can give is that it looks like an oil slick, especially around the edges. It didn't look like this when I got it. The DM on the boat thought it looked odd, but for all he knew his booted white spg might look similar if he took it out of the boot. (i'll post a pic if that will help)

Is this a normal thing that happens sometimes or did I just get an oddball? For the record, I did not dive through an oil slick as far as I know, lol. I don't intend to replace it unless this is a sign of a problem because it does what I want: it gives me tank pressure.

As a side question: how long are the face markings supposed to glow after I shine my xenon dive light at it? It seemed fairly short.

I'm in the boat as you. A 1 month old black spg that discolored after 1 dive in the pool.

Like you , it's not critical but I was somewhat supposed since my d1 1st and second look great. Guess its china vs Italy when it comes to finishes.

Just had a look at mine, it too looks like an "oil slick" strange thing is it hasn't even been in salt water, go figure...

I'm in the boat as you. A 1 month old black spg that discolored after 1 dive in the pool.

Like you , it's not critical but I was somewhat supposed since my d1 1st and second look great. Guess its china vs Italy when it comes to finishes.

I thought every brand of SPG was made in Italy.
Can you confirm where the HOG ones are made? I was looking to buy a few of the black face ones in BAR.

Thanks,
Mitch

It's also my understanding that SPG's come fom Italy. It's also my understanding that the regs are sourced from Taiwan. That's what I meant. Not that I thought the SPG came from Taiwan.

yeah the Spg's come from Italy the regs from Taiwan and the oil slick look on the black spg is pretty common. It doesn't corrode or cause any issues. If you can't stand it I will exchange for a white spg.

I think it looks kinda cool actually, gives it some character, but when you're not expecting it to look like that, it does make you stop and wonder.

For me, buying this SPG was part of my conversion to the dark side. I could see the value in the long hose but I was struggling with giving up a traditional console. It didn't seem like I was really solving any problems that applied to the diving that I do but I decided to go with it.

I read the reviews on the DRIS web site that some people had experienced flooding but bought it anyways. I figured it had to be a fluke. Then after my first pool dive it discolored and I had that sinking feeling of "oh great, why did I have to buy this?"

But now I don't care anymore and I'm happy with it. Still, it would have been cool if it had matched the finish of the rest of my Hog gear.

You don't like the Italian finish?

Man, what's with the pervs tonight? Got one thread about tossing the salad and now another talking about.... well, I'll let people figure that out on their own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom