Edge regs TI/Epic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RichKirby

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is the weight difference or performance significantly better with the TI reg compared to the 2012 Epic? Anyone have either that would like to give me a quick review? Thanks for any help.

The weight difference is quite noticeable, the performance not so much unless you plan on VERY deep diving(like sub 500 fsw) or you are planning to have a dozen folks on the reg... :). The Epic or the TiEX are both Very high performers.

Thank you!

---------- Post Merged at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:51 AM ----------

I'm only looking to do warm water rec diving. Seriously, no Edge owners on SB to give me a review?

they are brand new, I am sure reviews will be coming soon.
Thank you!

---------- Post Merged at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:51 AM ----------

I'm only looking to do warm water rec diving. Seriously, no Edge owners on SB to give me a review?

Thank you!

I wrote a review that can be found under the regulator section for Edge Epic but not Ti. Feel free to ask me specific questions. I have been diving with Aqualung/US Divers and Scuba Pro for twenty years. I now have switched to Edge and also have a HOG setup but I highly recommend the Edge for most divers.

Here is my 2 cents on Titanium regulators. I have over 10 years of regulator service experience. Titanium is very light, very strong, and very expensive. It is not compatible with enriched air. A brass regulator is much less expensive, compatible with enriched air, and breathes just as well if it is the same basic model. The weight difference is not very significant when attached to the rest of your scuba gear considering the weight of tanks and weights. The only place it might make a difference is when flying somewhere and keeping your weight to a minimum. I carry my regulator on to the plane with me so weight restrictions really don't apply. Save your money, buy a top of the line brass regulator and spend the difference on going diving. BTW, I have heard that the new Stainless model from Atomic is half the price of their Titanium model, it is just as corrosion resistant, and because stainless is strong, it is thinner and almost as light. It costs $200 less than the Epic Ti. BTW I am not affiliated with Atomic. Personally, I dive an Apeks which is where many of the Edge/HOG regs are derived.

---------- Post added July 18th, 2013 at 05:04 PM ----------

Here is my 2 cents on Titanium regulators. I have over 10 years of regulator service experience. Titanium is very light, very strong, and very expensive. It is not compatible with enriched air. A brass regulator is much less expensive, compatible with enriched air, and breathes just as well if it is the same basic model. The weight difference is not very significant when attached to the rest of your scuba gear considering the weight of tanks and weights. The only place it might make a difference is when flying somewhere and keeping your weight to a minimum. I carry my regulator on to the plane with me so weight restrictions really don't apply. Save your money, buy a top of the line brass regulator, keep it rinsed with fresh water, and spend the difference on going diving. BTW, I have heard that the new Stainless model from Atomic is half the price of their Titanium model, it is just as corrosion resistant, and because stainless is strong, it is thinner and almost as light. It costs $200 less than the Epic Ti. BTW I am not affiliated with Atomic. Personally, I dive an Apeks which is where many of the Edge/HOG regs are derived.

I have heard that the new Stainless model from Atomic is half the price of their Titanium model, it is just as corrosion resistant, and because stainless is strong, it is thinner and almost as light. It costs $200 less than the Epic Ti.

The Atomic Stainless is a cool reg, however it is $200 MORE EXPENSIVE than the EDGE Titanium. The EDGE TiEX is $699, the Atomic Stainless $899.

I'm a firm believer, read as user, in Edge/Hog regs... I normally have some where between 4 and 8 student reg sets on hand for my students.

My students love them and I routinely sell the reg a student is using and replace it with another. Last year, I used Edge EXPs sets and at the first of this year, moved to all Edge Epic 1st stages with HOG Classic 2nds.
* These have been slowly replaced with Edge Epic Cold '12s with the swivel braided hoses and Edge Octos.

I just added one of the Edge TI regs to the stable for use by myself and DMc son. Reviews to come.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom