Epic Reg with HP Cynlinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rembonjaski

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking at possibly getting my own tank and considering an HP100. Should I be concerned about extra wear and tear at 3442 psi (I plan on keeping the yoke connector)? Chances are, I'll be under-filling most of the time, but if by chance I'm able to consistently get the higher fill pressure should I be looking at shorter service intervals on this reg?

Last edited:
Tank pressure has little to do with the service interval on the reg. What you are looking at is the yoke itself. It is rated to handle that. But if you are serious about buying your own HP tanks I'd go DIN. I also see no benefit in buying a HP tank and planning on under filling it. Much better off buying LP tanks, make sure you keep the plus rating at hydro time, and be happy when you get an overfill. An HP100 at 3000PSI is an 87 cu ft tank. An LP 85 at 2800 is a 90 cu ft tank. LP85's are sweet, usually cheaper than an HP 100, and have great buoyancy charateristics. And if you do like I do and get good fills (3000-3100) they end up being 100's.:D

Tank pressure has little to do with the service interval on the reg. What you are looking at is the yoke itself. It is rated to handle that. But if you are serious about buying your own HP tanks I'd go DIN. I also see no benefit in buying a HP tank and planning on under filling it. Much better off buying LP tanks, make sure you keep the plus rating at hydro time, and be happy when you get an overfill. An HP100 at 3000PSI is an 87 cu ft tank. An LP 85 at 2800 is a 90 cu ft tank. LP85's are sweet, usually cheaper than an HP 100, and have great buoyancy charateristics. And if you do like I do and get good fills (3000-3100) they end up being 100's.:D

Thanks Jim. I was just a little concerned that the higher pressure could lead to early wear of the high-pressure seat. Since it's essentially a D2 1st stage (?), I assume a lot of people are using them with higher pressure set ups.

Looking at all the specs between different tanks it seemed that the HP100 was the best compromise, even under-filled, but with a possible $100+ price difference, I see your point on the LP.

There will be not prob with the HP 100 on your regs. They will be fine, and you can just do your normall servicing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom