HOG D1 2nd's and Edge Epic First

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nrengle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So got my gear from Dive Right in Scuba, and was checking out. I can actually inhale on both unpressurized 2nd's. But on my wife's Titan LX Supreme I cannot when it's unpressurized. Is this normal? Or is the IP set too high on the HOGS? Would like to know so I can resolve this as diving season is getting very short for me here in Ohio now and would like to try my new gear once before having to stow away till Australia in Jan for work...

Thanks guys.

Jim Lapenta if you're coming to Ohio anytime soon maybe you can give me a quick run through on the regs for maintaining them?

So after putting the reg on a tank (empty, I don't have a full tank), I can still pull a breath off the 2nd stage on both the octo and main 2nd. Any suggestions?

So got my gear from Dive Right in Scuba, and was checking out. I can actually inhale on both unpressurized 2nd's. But on my wife's Titan LX Supreme I cannot when it's unpressurized. Is this normal? Or is the IP set too high on the HOGS? Would like to know so I can resolve this as diving season is getting very short for me here in Ohio now and would like to try my new gear once before having to stow away till Australia in Jan for work...

Thanks guys.

Jim Lapenta if you're coming to Ohio anytime soon maybe you can give me a quick run through on the regs for maintaining them?

Dude,

Jim is a prince amoung men (IMHO), but he too sells Hog/Edge gear. Shouldn't you direct your questions to where you purchased your gear?

JohnN

He offers a course on how to do a rebuild an such I believe (we have talked about these regs quite a bit in PM). So I'd definitely be signing up for it, just a matter of when he's in the Ohio area to offer it....

Trouble shooting:

1. Check to make sure the hose fittings are tight (at both ends). Don't overtighten them - finger tight plus a little bit is enough. If you assembled the unit, did you check the o-rings on the hose fittings first?
  2. Check the exhalation diaphragm to make sure it is seated correctly. This is the little one at the bottom/rear if the second stage, you should be able to see it through the exhaust cover and straighten it out with your finger or some soft, blunt instrument like a pencil eraser.
  3. Check the inhalation diaphragm to make sure it is seated correctly. This is the big one in front of the second stage, you can probably see it well enough through the faceplate holes but you will need to unscrew the faceplate to make any adjustments.
  4. Use your finger (not the dust cap) or connect to a cylinder (turned off) to block the first stage inlet.
  5. Inhale from the second stage using normal force - no more than a gentle inhalation effort. Pull too hard and you can suck the inhalation diaphragm inwards off its seat. You should not be able to inhale. If you do, you have a problem that needs to be corrected before you go diving. As you inhale, listen carefully and you might be able to hear where any leaks are.
  6. If you can, very gently pressurize the system and listen for leaks. You won't need to open the valve more than a tiny crack - just enough to hear the air start to hiss and be prepared to shut the air off immediately if things start to go wrong. If you can do this in a bathtub or tank full of water, you can look for bubbles, too.

If the hoses are tight and the diaphragms are seated correctly and you are still able to inhale, the problem is probably more than the average diver can correct and a technician should look the unit over. If the system is leaking, call Mike at DRIS and let him know you're having a problem - he cares about stuff like this and will take care of you. Do not dive the unit until it is fixed.

Reefraff covered what to look for at the diver level. A completely redundant test is to also remove the second stage and hose from the first, block the hose, and try to inhale normally. Same idea as blocking the first stage but does also rule out the first stage. And this may sound silly but are all the unused ports sealed with a plug? And are those plugs tight? Since you are putting it on an empty tank, (do you mean completely empty?) there should be no hissing from them.

Did you get a written report on what the IP and cracking pressures were on the reg? I do this with every one I sell. Hook it up and test them at 500-700psi and at 2500-3000psi. Record what they are and include it with the reg. Started doing this after getting one in where the factory setting was a little low.

As for John's comment I made a decision when I became a dealer to help any HOG or Edge gear owner regardless if they bought the gear from me whenever I could and have done so a few times. So it's cool.

And don't see coming to ohio now before Scubafest in March. Sorry. But am looking into offering the class to those who meet the prereqs at scubafest either the day before (friday) or the day after (monday) if I have enough interest. Would need a minimum of four paid and confirmed In advance to do it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Reef thanks I'll go over all that when I get home from work late tonight.

Jim. The tank is completely empty. Needs a vis and all that. I'll double check everything when I get home from the Newport tonight.

I did not get a IP report with it.

Also what are your prerequisites for your course? And no worries on waiting till March. Hopefully I won't be on tour then!

As for John's comment I made a decision when I became a dealer to help any HOG or Edge gear owner regardless if they bought the gear from me whenever I could and have done so a few times. So it's cool.

pretty easy to see how Jim earns the "prince among men" moniker

Back
Top Bottom