Travel with a hog wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Herb-alaska

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I now own two BPW sets from hog simply because I bought the stainless BP and a wing set and loved it so I bought an AL BP to use as a travel wing set as well as to mount doubles

so my question is it safe to fly wit my wing mounted to my BP and STA or is it better to break it down and pack the wing separately
thanks
Herb

We dont use STA's with ours. Ours fit nicely in our bags assembled.

When we flew with our gear last year we kept our rigs assembled. Not sure what difference it would make, curious to know if there is though.

I have a DSS SS plate and wing. I've only traveled inter-island within Hawaii, but I break it down when packing.

My concern was to protect the wing from a pinch unjury caused by the BP while in a suitcase

+1 While I don't handle my gear with white gloves by any stretch, I do separate my plate and wing when traveling. Usually I'll pack the wing on top with a few layers of clothing between it and anything sharp or hard.

I always break the wing down when traveling. It is too easy to have the plate or other item do something in transit. I had this happen with a DSS wing. The new HOG wings have a ten year warranty against pinch flats due to the way they are constructed but it's still easier, and IMO safer to break it down. And like Nwcid I don't use an STA. It's not needed with the roll control that is built into the wing itself.

It does depend on how you pack it. I use a roller backpack and everything goes into it as carry on. Much easier to disassemble the wing and fit it in there securely. If you're using a larger suitcase or duffle you could leave it set up and I doubt there'd be a problem. But why take the chance?

Most BP/W combinations pack tighter and better broken down. Removing the cam bands and the plate from the wings reduced air space. Carefully placing the wing and any other delicate gear neatly in the center of the bag protects it from the bumps crushes inherent with checked baggage. Wetsuits and clothing make excellent padding for what you really want to protect.

Back
Top Bottom