Can the HOG second stage purge button jam from grit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Pretty much what the post title asks.

I recently bought a brand new set of HOG regs; specifically the kit with a D1 cold 5-port, 7 ft hose, short hose, and second stages.

In the past, I've heard a couple people bad mouth regs with button purges as being able to jam up easily from sand particles / silt. Is this true or just bull?

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

That all being said; the regs themselves look fantastic. Build quality seems great.

Bought these for use with single tank dives.
I'm currently running Atomic M1s on my doubles; and am getting sick (or lazy :p) of re-configuring them for single tank dives.

Oddly enough; these may become my doubles regs; as they look a bit more rugged than my M1s!

I'm just super concerned about the purge button; as I do dive in very silty/sandy environments.

Thanks! :)

Yes, they can jam up if they get enough grit in them. I think any purge button can. Rinsing them well solves the problem, and if it doesn't, it's quite easy to remove the faceplate and clean things out.

Reactions: Eff
I've had this happen 3 or 4 times with my HOG 2nd stages too. I have to keep them absolutely grit-free, more so than with my Apeks and Oceanic 2nd stages.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I'm getting the vibe that in-water silt and the occasional brush against scuzziness (never intentional; but occasionally through tight squeezes) won't be a problem then (?)
(Any experiences one way or the other on this?)

It certainly isn't like I'll be grinding them in sand. That would mess up any reg! Haha.

I once tried field-stripping my Atomic M1s underwater - what a nightmare! The soft plastic-on-plastic threads were difficult to unscrew, and nearly impossible to put back together without cross-threading. And yes, that was even with the trick of turning backwards until the threads click into place before tightening.
Not to mention there were four separate pieces to line up, and the "Atomic cave ring" kit to make stripping easier is $100 per second stage. Yikes! I blew enough money on those regs as is.

By comparison; these HOG regs are a dream. I can have the second stage apart in under 5 seconds! And together in under 10.

Also, the warranty seems great. I bought mine new-in-box from a diver who won them at Beneath-The-Sea, and I STILL get a 7-year warranty! Wow!!

I use a HOG second and D1 cold first stage for side and no mount diving. I've pushed and dragged it through plenty of tight spots and I don't do any special cleaning at all. It's overdue for a rebuild at this point, but it just keeps on working... never had it jam, free flow, etc, it's been completely trouble free. I don't believe I've ever had a regulator of any make get stuck, and the only freeflows happen while jumping in, or in very high flow passage, when the flow pushes the lever in enough...

If you are concerned about the plastic face style jamming, you could always switch to the rubber style, I believe they sell for under $10, and they come in several colors.

Thanks for the usage feedback JahJahwarrior! I'm impressed already but that feedback gives me even more reassurance.

I'm a maintenance geek; I fully work my gear down after diving in salt or silty water, rinse/clean, dry, then reassemble.
A bit lame to some, but keeps me satisfied.

Good point on the soft covers guys - thanks for the heads up on those!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom