Rust on HOG SS backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Anyone else run into light rust on their HOG SS backplate? It is where the thumbwheels screw into my doubles (I'm using delrin thumbscrews) but perhaps due to dissimilar metal of the bolts on my doubles bands?

I know the issue is purely cosmetic but it doesn't occur with my DiveRite SS backplate which I have had about 4 years longer. I just found it odd.

Just curious..

we haven't had any other reports of rust. If I had to hazard a guess it would be from salt water getting trapped under the bolts. Do the bolts you use have a metal insert? Are they rusty as well? Let us know if you want us to look at the plate and see if a warranty replacement is called for.

we haven't had any other reports of rust. If I had to hazard a guess it would be from salt water getting trapped under the bolts. Do the bolts you use have a metal insert? Are they rusty as well? Let us know if you want us to look at the plate and see if a warranty replacement is called for.

Thanks Chris. It could very well be from salt.

The thumbwheels I use don't have a metal insert. They're from Deep See Supply. I will take a picture when I get home and email you just to show you where it's occurring. I don't think a warranty replacement is necessary unless you're offering :)

Purely cosmetic in nature I just wanted to see if others had the same thing.

---------- Post added May 28th, 2013 at 07:46 PM ----------

Pictures in case anyone is curious. It does look like the DSS thumbwheels may be trapping salt deposits since the rust is right behind where they usually go.

Last edited:
Does a damp clothe remove the rust? If it does look closely at the metal to see if has been scored by the rust.

Are you diving a STA? If so do you remove it between dives?

---------- Post added May 31st, 2013 at 01:56 PM ----------

It looks like there is rust on the bolt itself. I would suspect that it is your bolts that are the source of the rust based on those images you posted.

Does a damp clothe remove the rust? If it does look closely at the metal to see if has been scored by the rust.

Are you diving a STA? If so do you remove it between dives?

---------- Post added May 31st, 2013 at 01:56 PM ----------

It looks like there is rust on the bolt itself. I would suspect that it is your bolts that are the source of the rust based on those images you posted.

No STA and my bolts are made of delrin. I haven't tried aggressively cleaning the backplate; usually just a rinse in freshwater.

No STA and my bolts are made of delrin. I haven't tried aggressively cleaning the backplate; usually just a rinse in freshwater.

Technically those are the nuts that go onto the bolts.

Betcha the 'boy' part has rust on the threads. . .

Technically those are the nuts that go onto the bolts.

Betcha the 'boy' part has rust on the threads. . .

Sorry not sure why I referred to them as bolts when I clearly mean delrin nuts. hehe The bolts do have a little bit of rust on them; I'll inspect a little further when I get home.

John,

I suspect that the bolts (the male part) are plated SS. When they chafe against the SS back plate this plating is worn thin, which is why they are rusting. You might try seeing if a magnet sticks to the bolts. Most higher end stainless steel is non magnetic due to it's higher chromium content.

Also I wouldn't 'aggressively' scrub the plate with anything abrasive myself I would just take a damp cloth and wipe the plate to see if the rust is truly from the plate and not just residue from the bolts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom