Ali Plate - Sharp Edges on top

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Griffo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I debated whether to post this or not, but I figure that Chris and co always taken constructive criticism.
I own 4 hog plates - 2 red ali and 2 steel. I've posted how much I love the red ali plate with the 23# wing in several other threads on SB as my travel wing.

But I've noticed that after ~ 50 dives on this setup, I've had to replace the webbing. It had been sliced through on the top of the plate to the point that I didn't feel safe diving it until I replaced it. In all honestly it would probably have survived another 50 dives but there was also a 1/4" cut in the webbing at the bottom angles slots as well. 2 minutes with a file fixed the problem, but it just wasn't an area I had worried about being sharp, and it seems such a shame to have to file off that nice red finish. Both plates had the same problem. They were ordered over a year ago, so it's possible that they have been fixed since then, but it might be worth checking yours.

I have the same issue with the red AL plate. The top/should slots are worse than the bottom slots. What I end up doing is to put 2" turbular sleeve on where the webbing meeting the plate. It seems to alleviate the issue a bit. One thing I notice, HOG AL plate seems a little thinner than other brand of AL plate (OMS is what I has), maybe this is the cause.

I wonder anyone else has the same issue.

De-burring is an additional manufacturing operation which adds to the cost of the finished product. An alternative would be to radius each slot; this would produce a nicer finished slot than de-burring it, but would be even more costly.

To radius each slot on both sides of the plate would make for an even more expensive final product.

Minimal de-burring would be the cheapest way, and would be acceptable to most. At this point, you could take a small needle file (also called jewelers files) and break the edges a little more.

Cheers,
Mitch

I have the same issue with the red AL plate. The top/should slots are worse than the bottom slots. What I end up doing is to put 2" turbular sleeve on where the webbing meeting the plate. It seems to alleviate the issue a bit. One thing I notice, HOG AL plate seems a little thinner than other brand of AL plate (OMS is what I has), maybe this is the cause.

I wonder anyone else has the same issue.

Yeah I put on the tubular webbing as well, but I didn't extend it over the top of the plate - only through the slots. It's the actual outside of the plate that did the most damage.

Do you guys have other AL backplate? Can you measure the thickness? I sold my OMS plate, so nothing to compare now. I will measure my HOG tonight.

Hi Guys, thanks for all the comments we will work on doing a better job on the plates in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom