HOG 32LB wing bladder filling with water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

harrisonrmatt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I received my new BP/W setup on Wednesday and did a pool dive to dial in the harness and configuration. Upon exiting the pool I heard the sound of water swishing around in the wing, initially thinking it was between the inner and outer layer. I pulled the OPV and a bunch of water came gushing out. I re-inflated and pulled the OPV again - same deal. Most of the water was out by the third go at it.

I inspected the spring inside the OPV, no problems there. I checked the inflation hose for secure connection - it is.

Anyone have any ideas?

In the event that the wing needs to be replaced, should I contact Hog or DRIS (who sold it to me)?

When you let air out of the wing sometime water goes in. Especially if you are letting all the air out and hold the valve open after the last of the air comes out.

This is normal and nothing to be concerned about.

Make sure after use in pool or salt water to drain all the water out of the wing then put in some fresh water by holding a hose to the inflater mouthpiece and holding the valve open. Then swirl this water around inside to rinse the bladder and drain it out. Try to get as much out as possible and then inflate the bladder somewhat and leave it inflated so it can dry inside and the plastic inside doesn't end up sticking to itself over time.

I do this every time I dive. It's also a good idea to always have some air in your wing while you store or transport it to avoid pinch flats between the metal backplate and other hard surfaces.

When you let air out of the wing sometime water goes in. Especially if you are letting all the air out and hold the valve open after the last of the air comes out.

This is normal and nothing to be concerned about.

Make sure after use in pool or salt water to drain all the water out of the wing then put in some fresh water by holding a hose to the inflater mouthpiece and holding the valve open. Then swirl this water around inside to rinse the bladder and drain it out. Try to get as much out as possible and then inflate the bladder somewhat and leave it inflated so it can dry inside and the plastic inside doesn't end up sticking to itself over time.

I do this every time I dive. It's also a good idea to always have some air in your wing while you store or transport it to avoid pinch flats between the metal backplate and other hard surfaces.

I was actually just thinking that after I submitted my post. Thanks for the quick response and confirmation!

I'll do another pool dive today, but I'm certain that was the issue (holding the OPV open after all the air has escaped). I never use the OPV (personal preference), but I was just testing everything on the setup.

And thanks for the tip on rinsing the bladder, I'll definitely add this to my rinsing process.

After you rinse (I "flush"), drain and inflate.... give it a day or so and come back to do another drain and inflate again. It sometimes takes a while for all the water to make it's way to the bottom.

Also every now and then I'll put wash it out with some Listerine. I wan't to avoid anything growing in there on me.

Don't change the way you dump air on account of water getting in the wing. It's absolutely normal for water to enter the wing.

Dump air the way you need to dump it and don't worry about the water. Just add draining and rinsing to your post dive routine. Look for videos on YouTube if you need instructions or poke around on the boards for various techniques.

Just be extra vigilant with rinsing in salt water and pool water because they can be harsh on gear.

After you rinse (I "flush"), drain and inflate.... give it a day or so and come back to do another drain and inflate again. It sometimes takes a while for all the water to make it's way to the bottom.

Also every now and then I'll put wash it out with some Listerine. I wan't to avoid anything growing in there on me.

Good tip on the Listerine, thanks!

Don't change the way you dump air on account of water getting in the wing. It's absolutely normal for water to enter the wing.

Dump air the way you need to dump it and don't worry about the water. Just add draining and rinsing to your post dive routine. Look for videos on YouTube if you need instructions or poke around on the boards for various techniques.

Just be extra vigilant with rinsing in salt water and pool water because they can be harsh on gear.

Definitely, thanks again!

I tend to do it whenever I wash my wetsuit. Maybe every few months. I usually rinse everything out and dry really well and if my suit starts to smell funky I assume my wing might also.

I agree it's quite usual and nothing to be worried about if you follow the proper aftercare process of rinsing...

However, it might be cause for the OP to at least look at the way they are venting. If you vent with the OPV/dump at the high point of the BCD, then assuming you don't vent it totally empty, water entry should be minimised. Similar to clearing your mask.

If you're venting from the butt dump when vertical, or the shoulder dump when not vertical, you'll get more water in than otherwise. Also, fully inflating the wing post-dive should cause any water to go to the low point, which will make it easier to drain.

Back
Top Bottom