Possible to modify a 32# bladder to fit on a zeagle express tech wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phork

Contributor
Reaction score
Here's the situation, I need a travel bp/w. I currently dive the Hog SS bp w/ 32# wing and love it. My initial plan was to pickup a Zeagle Express tech bp and throw the Hog wing on it since the Zeagle wing I was going to get with it was a 30#. I didn't see the point in having 2 separate wings that have a 2lb lift difference. The problem that I'm having is the holes where the tank straps on the Hog wing tread through don't match up with the ones on the ET bp. The ET has a horizontal length of 4.5in's where the Hog wing's are just under 4in's so it creates tension between the two. The vertical length is about a half inch shorter on the wing as well since the grommets don't match up perfectly to attach the two (the grommets are close enough so it's not an issue, it just offsets the lower tank strap a bit).

I'm wondering if it's possible to get it modified so it would fit properly for the tank straps? I don't think modifying the bp would work but I'm thinking if it's possible to widen and lengthen the holes for the tanks straps, it would fit quite well. Any possibility we could make this happen?

Sorry for the lack of reply. Honestly we have no idea what to say. I am not familiar with the Zeagle stuff you have and have no idea how you can make it work with our wing.
Any ideas? I tried emailing as well but no response.

Ok, how about this, pics of both below. First shows the width of where the tank straps need to thread through the BP. Second shows the width of where the straps thread through the wing. If the outer sides of the holes on the wing were widened by 1/4 inch or so it should solve that problem. I forgot to take a pic of the vertical measurements but I believe if both the top and bottom holes were longer as well they would fit just fine.

ESC9ztq.jpg

AxVGdZc.jpg

Attachments

• 20130706_173840.jpg
    20130706_173840.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 173
a manufacturer is not going to suggest that you modify their gear.....

perhaps one of the "ultra lite" 2 piece STAs would make it work for you osing the grommet holes.....

I don't see the point--if you have a Hog SS BP and wing that you like, why not travel with them?

Wow... imagine that. I did just this. :D I took out the seam just below the second grommet from the top. I resewed it about an inch down and put my wing on it. It really wasn't that hard and I'll try to post a pic in a bit. :D Your LDS can order just the fiber back plate, allowing you to add the webbing just the way you want it.

FWIW, I have been after Chris for years to come up with a travel plate like this. Perhaps, together we can convince him to create such a beast.

I don't see the point--if you have a Hog SS BP and wing that you like, why not travel with them?

Weight restrictions for all my gear I'm taking.

---------- Post added July 10th, 2013 at 11:40 AM ----------

a manufacturer is not going to suggest that you modify their gear.....

I totally understand that. Which is why I'm talking to the manufacture and seeing if they can do it for me.

---------- Post added July 10th, 2013 at 11:45 AM ----------

Wow... imagine that. I did just this. :D I took out the seam just below the second grommet from the top. I resewed it about an inch down and put my wing on it. It really wasn't that hard and I'll try to post a pic in a bit. :D Your LDS can order just the fiber back plate, allowing you to add the webbing just the way you want it.

FWIW, I have been after Chris for years to come up with a travel plate like this. Perhaps, together we can convince him to create such a beast.

Interesting, taking out the seam would probably solve the vertical issue. Only thing left would be the issue on the width.

I'd love for them to come out with a more travel friendly plate like the Zeagle ET. The aluminium one Hog has is lighter, but still, when traveling and lugging gear around, a few pounds can make a big difference. I'm tempted to just buy the Zeagle 30lb wing but if I did that, the woman would make me get rid of the Hog wing. Like I said previously, I can't justify having 2 wings with a 2lb lift difference to her so it's either one or the other and with the traveling I'm going to be doing soon, the ET will be getting more use.

---------- Post added July 10th, 2013 at 11:49 AM ----------

And wow, typo on the thread title. D'oh!

Interesting, taking out the seam would probably solve the vertical issue. Only thing left would be the issue on the width.
What issue?? You just need to use the center strap. BTW, I used a Singer heavy duty with a walking foot to sew mine. It was barely strong enough. Not sure I needed to sew another seam, but I did.

Instead of a zeagle express tech, why not pick up a HOG AL plate. At 2lb, I doubt Zeagle is lighter in any meaningful way. No modification needed, fit for sure, better yet, stable rigid plate platform that you are familiar with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom