issues with HOG classic second stage, a small leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fengz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I think I may have a "slow freeflow" problem with my HOG classic second stages which were purchased a little over a year ago as part of a single tank package. I discovered the problem while trying to tune the second stages, and here was my observation:

1) connected the reg to a tank, and checked the IP, which was around 135psi.
2) turned the air flow knob to the max, and the venturi switch to "+". At this point, there was no freeflow.
3) when I took a breath from the regulator, and took it out from my mouth, it won't turn off completely, and I could hear a little "hiss" sound.
4) turned the venturi switch to "-" didn't do anything.
5) turned down the airflow control stopped the leak.
6) if I repeat step 3) at this point, the small leak would start again.
7) only turning down the flow control more would stop the leak.
8) I repeated steps 3) to 7) multiple times, and the problem finally went away when the airflow control was turned down more than half a turn.

At this point, I opened up the second stage for further examination. I did notice that there was some gunk built up where the lever met the metal barrel. This could be either salt or rust, but I wasn't very sure. After I tried to clean it out as much as I could, one of the second stage behaved a lot better, while the other one didn't improve much. Has anyone seen similar problems before, and could there be other causes for it? I do rinse and soak the regulator in fresh water after each dive, and periodically open the back to rinse the inside.

Any help is appreciated.

feng

That is actually how I like to tune my regs, so I can just get a slight freeflow with the flow control know full open. Then I adjust the knob to just before freeflow. That gives me high flow with very little cracking effort. :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Same here, However when setting up a reg for a customer I will set it a hair stiffer just because the seat will over time start to take a bit of set. It sounds like this is what is happening with your reg. Not a big deal. It's often a good idea to have a little leeway in the adjustment knob. There may come a time when you want the reg to seem like it's breathing for you. That SLIGHT freeflow is what many experienced divers go for when the reg is "broke in". It can be retuned but at this point it'd be such a minor adjustment from your description that I'd be ok with it as is. My primary is often turned back a 1/2 of a turn for normal diving. If you did want it adjusted it's an easy fix.

Just to add. This is a common event with people new to adjustable second stages of any mfg. They are often used to a rental reg that is not adjustable and is perhaps tuned down a bit to prevent any chance of a freeflow. So when they get a hold of a high performance second that is actually tuned right it throws them. At least until they get comfortable with using the knob as it's intended.

I actually see this a lot. PM me and I'll guide you through the process. It wouldn't be wise of me to post this in a public forum. If we move it into the HOG repair station forum I'd be happy to post it there.

Hi robertarak,

Thanks for your quick reply. Does your regulator freeflow automatically when the flow control is fully open, or do you have to "induce" it by breathing it or pressing the purge valve? Also, shouldn't the venturi lever stop the freeflow?

My problem is that when I turn down the flow control knob, the freeflow will stop only till the next breath, then it will start again.

feng

---------- Post added July 11th, 2013 at 02:29 PM ----------

I'd love to take the class if anyone can offer it in the Boston area. I don't mind to drive 2-3 hours, but more than that it's a bit much:)

Make sure you are measuring IP when there is no hiss from 2nd stage.
If you want to detune the slight ff with knob all the way out then remove the 2nd stage from the hose and screw in the orifice 1/10th to 1/8th turn.
......you should press in purge button as you screw in the orifice.

Fengs,

I do have to kind of get it started. Once it flows the dive/predive venturi adjustment lever should really have no effect. If it is freeflowing following an inhalation with the adjustment knob NOT in the full open position, it should be adjusted.

As for the class. If there are enough students in your area, I would be happy to come teach the class.

Also, the way it freeflows isn't very consistent on one of my second stage. On some breathes I get very little hiss, and on others it runs wild.

Sounds like a REALLY bad thing!! Send it to me and I'll send you a free pencil!!!:rofl3: I love my HOG's and if you listen to Jim and robertarak they will more than likely head you in the right direction. However my offer still stands!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom