Are there any differences between the HOG Classic and Switchback 2nd stages?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Progen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Some websites claim that the Switchback is the ambidextrous version of the Classic. Then there was one I came across yesterday (can't remember where because I opened up a lot of links on the HOG products) saying that the Switchback is not only an ambidextrous version but higher performing too. Which is true? I'm about to put money down for a sidemount package because it's troublesome as hell having to reroute my backmounted regulator setup for sidemount.

Progen,

From the Dive Gear Express website...

The ambidextrous case of of the HOG Switchback second stage regulator can be configured to accept the hose from either the diver's right or left side. This feature offers maximum hose routing flexibility, making it perfect for sidemount and deco divers. The ambidextrous Switchback also offers exactly the same proven high performance and features as the other HOG Classic second stages.

--Joyce

Thanks Joyce. I've been looking at your site a few times EVERYDAY wondering whether to go for the D3 or D1 but I think I'll spring for the D1 since I'll need money for other things (from your site too) although having the hose for the secondary come from the left shoulder did seem like a good idea to me which was why I asked about the Switchback. I'll try looking for that website which claimed that HOG stated an improvement in performance.

---------- Post added July 19th, 2013 at 09:00 PM ----------

Ok, found the source of the misinformation.

The much anticipated HOG SWITCHBACK reversible second stage is here. It offers the same high performance, build quality and value that has made HOG the choice for scientific and technical divers worldwide. The SWITCHBACK is able to be configured to accept the hose from the standard right side or the left side, a feature that permits you to bring your auxiliary over your left shoulder, should you so choose and that is essential for sidemount and rebreather divers looking for more routing options. But of course we didn’t just change the hose, it offers higher performance than the original HOG SECOND STAGE.

The switchback that I have has a plastic Backing on the diaphragm vs the metal backing on the classic. Possible lower friction on the lever diaphragm interface?

That brings into question whether the chrome and black versions of the Classic are exactly the same other than the colour.

When the switchback came out it incorporated a couple small changes that made it perform better than the other HOG seconds on the market already, slightly, only a machine could tell. We have since incorporated them into all HOG seconds, in fact the new Zenith second stages also has small improvements incorporated that improve performance. Eventually you will see the service kits for older HOG Seconds have the same newer design parts used in the Zenith (poppet and lp seat) to improve older HOG regs as well. Not because they older regs 'need" them, but simply because we found a way to make better. It is incremental, not a big deal or i would have retrofitted the older HOG I personally dive and I haven't been bothered, i won't really notice. When I do get around to servicing my personal regs I will use the new seat and poppet, no rush however.

The Se and the Classic second have always been the same other than chrome colour. No mystery there.

Thanks, cerich. I've already made my order with DiveGearExpress and those speed freaks have shipped it out. Guess that's the good thing about being half a day away in the other side of the world. I made my order at night, went to bed and woke up to see an email with a tracking number. :D

This is going to sound like a big shoutout for DiveGearExpress but to have a fairly large package sold at a better price than anyone else (online at least) and shipped for free to arrive from halfway across the world in 10 days (my estimate because the item is at the local distribution centre now so that makes 7 actually but I'm giving the lazy buggers (my side) 3 days more to get it to my doorstep although I'm only like a few miles from them).

I'm really curious about them because other than a few negative comments which I believe to be manufacturing defects which didn't pop up during the final checks at the factory and 1 where someone compared them to the Scubapro S600 and said they were far off by miles, it's weird to see equipment with so many positive reviews which makes me all the more curious to compare them with my Sherwood SR1 which had gathered a lot of good reviewers for being an easy breather.

One other difference I've just noticed is that the switchback does not have the air pad, whereas the classic does. I assume this is one of the improvements?

If you mean the deflector in the case above the barrel true it does not. But neither do any of the new seconds. The small changes in case design made it unnecessary and none of the new seconds have it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom