HOG DIN to yoke convertor (NOT adaptor)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Progen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Been looking at the this conversion kit from DiveRightInScuba and it seemed to be a very well made piece of kit. Have noticed that there have been made posts made on using HOG 1st stages with what I believe to be adaptors and not conversion kits but I'd just like to confirm whether the conversion kits will add any noticeable potrusions. I'm going to use the pair on my sidemount kit so it'd be nice to have as little clutter as possible around my armpits.

If the goal is to have as little clutter as possible, why not just stay with DIN?

I wish I could, chrpai and I was actually planning to get my own tanks so that I could outfit them with combo valves but most of my diving won't be at home and even more so after next year when I move to somewhere with no decent diving within 2 - 3 hours.

I might still get my own tanks if I can get a good deal but I believe the majority of divers do not travel with tanks. :D

No, I dont travel with tanks, however its pretty easy to get din (combo) tanks if you ask for it when booking your diving.
Worst case you can use an adapter the few times the op cant provide proper tanks..

I might still get my own tanks if I can get a good deal but I believe the majority of divers do not travel with tanks. :D

The majority of divers aren't sidemount divers either. You also have Left / Right valves to consider.

I've already sourced for combo left / right valves because I had some AL80 tanks offered to me pretty cheaply some time ago. Somewhere around USD70 for each and they were in good condition.

So far, I've only seen one place (here) with combo valves and I suspect that was because they carried out TEC courses too and their gear was with DIN 1st stages.

Ok, so if it was me.... I'd stay DIN and and use your Left/Right pro valves for local diving. For travel diving I'd just use the DIN/Yoke adapters. There are two reasons people don't like those adapters. 1) They add 1/2" or so and you can bump your head on them. 2) They had an extra oring - point of failure. #1 doesn't apply to you because you are sidemount. #2 was arguable in the first place but mitigated by the fact that you have redundancy in your sidemount rig.

I don't think you'd be gaining much by converting your regs to DIN for travel sidemount diving and then converting them back when you get home.

Do you have a sidemount instructor / mentor? What does he suggest?

I have to ask, why not just get the adapter? I dive all DIN but have the adapter for times when Yoke is required. Just curious

Using the yoke converter may not add clutter under your arms but will add a protrusion in the form of the yoke knob to deal with. once you set up your sidemount regs leave them alone. If you plan to dive SM when traveling arrange for DIN tanks ahead of time. That is just part of the dive planning process. When not diving SM have a separate reg set for that. I would not want to use k valves for SM. You could but it'd be a pain and an op is likely not going to allow you to switch valves anyway. More places are accepting of SM and I imagine more coming. But for now if you can't arrange for DIN tanks choose another op or don't take the SM rig.

Another case of right tool for the job. If the proper tool is not available change the job or job plan.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I have to ask, why not just get the adapter? I dive all DIN but have the adapter for times when Yoke is required. Just curious

Precisely because of that extra bulk and potrusion. During my sidemount course, we were introduced to a Dive Rite DIN regulator set and a yoke Apeks one. I got the Apeks set so I'm quite used to using a yoke setup in sidemount but I wouldn't want a DIN 1st stage fitted with an adaptor. I wouldn't mind swapping it to a yoke and then back to DIN when I'm 100% sure that I will have access to DIN valves or when I go for my TEC training and again have confirmed beforehand that it will be with DIN. As for my (formerly) main backmounted setup, that one's fine with its yoke and I won't be swapping anything between that regulator setup and the sidemount one which I'm waiting for.

On a related note, is there anywhere else selling the conversion (not the adaptor) kit with cheaper shipping because shipping to Malaysia costs about the same as one of those convertors. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom