HOG D1 Mouthpiece on 2 Sets of Regs Torn after Two Dive Trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I bought 2 sets of HOG D1 Regs with SPG for me & my wife. We bought them online from Dive Right in Scuba (DRIS). DRIS service was 1st class btw.

After only 1 dive trip (about 12 dives), both mouthpieces attached to the second stage on the long hose has developed tears. This is the one that we breathed from. The mouth pieces attached to the backup regs on a necklace are fine on both sets.

The regs were always hand carried (never packed with other gear) when on the move in a padded regulator bag, and when not in use on the boat, the long hose was clipped off to the right D-ring of the BC and never allowed to touch the floor.

Please see attached pictures.

IMG_2544.jpgIMG_2545.jpg

Please let me know what can be done, thanks.

Did you call your dealer? That's what I want my customers to do. Call me if they have an issue and I'll take care of it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Hi,
I bought 2 sets of HOG D1 Regs with SPG for me & my wife. We bought them online from Dive Right in Scuba (DRIS). DRIS service was 1st class btw.

You just answered your question. DRIS will help you with this issue.

Did you call your dealer? That's what I want my customers to do. Call me if they have an issue and I'll take care of it.

Jim is right...always call the dealer you bought from first.

After only 1 dive trip (about 12 dives), both mouthpieces attached to the second stage on the long hose has developed tears. This is the one that we breathed from. The mouth pieces attached to the backup regs on a necklace are fine on both sets.

I'd probably just buy a new mouthpiece (if you can't find hog, those look a lot like Atomic, which are also very nice).

I don't think it's worth the postage to send it back and it's certainly not worth the time to do the research.

While it's probably a material defect or an installation problem and should be covered, there's a difference between "being right" and "doing what's best/easiest for you".

If I were Hog, I'd just say "sorry you had trouble" and toss a couple of new mouthpieces in the mail. Making you prove everything is just a way to get rid of an annoyance.

flots.

That's exactly what my mouthpiece looked like when it first started ripping.

I'm with flots am though.... but if someone wanted to say Hog has cheep Chinese mouth pieces, it would be hard to disagree with them.

I love my Hogs but I am afraid my mouthpiece is tearing prematurely as well. Too much hassle to return it under warranty but something Hog might want to look into for future production runs.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Ok thanks for the advice I will contact DRIS. They've been great to deal with.

---------- Post added August 23rd, 2013 at 07:28 AM ----------

You just answered your question. DRIS will help you with this issue.

Jim is right...always call the dealer you bought from first.

Ok thank you

Juuuust out of curiosity here....these regs are all the rage on every single thread. I'm curious as to why a normal mouthpiece can't be fitted to these things. People want to replace them under warranty or send them back? For a mouthpiece? Is it THAT proprietary of a mouthpiece or have these last two threads in three days about this problem just been related to "I didn't know a mouthpiece could be replaced myself and my dive shop didn't want to help" sort of thing?

I'm very particular about mouthpieces and hate with a passion the style that Hog comes with. I hate most mouthpieces on stock regs. I buy the style I like by the bag every year or two... They are consumables and sometimes they break, but at $3 or so, and 2 minutes to change...

Hog are nothing special, I've never found a mouthpiece that wouldn't fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom