Wing vs Wing Comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chilly_Dipper

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I've been hearing allot of noise from the local cool aid crowd about how Halycon wings are so much better then then HOG wings. Does anyone know if someones done a actual side by side comparison of the two products? I have heard rumors that both products are actually produced by the same OEM factories can anyone confirm or deny this?

Either way I love my Hog gear but then again I have always favored function over brand name.

halcyon makes their own wings in house, I use a different source. they make good wings, I make good wings. The "ideal" wing is nothing to do with brand and everything to do with how it dives on the diver wearing it, the correct wing for one diver may not be the correct for another even when everything else appears the same.

Honestly, when people pay more it's better, it just has to be...lol

Halcyon flatly claims they still produce all of their wings in house:

all our systems, wings, marker buoys and most of our products are manufactured in our North Florida factory

Since I don't own any HOG wings it would be hard for me to compare them, but I can say that quality varies even within a brand in the case of Halcyon.

I have an Explorer 40 that's one of the newer wings and while very well made, it cannot come close to being as ruggedly and carefully constructed as the older Explorer 55 I have. The outer bag fabric on the 40 is the newer, slicker nylon while the 55's is a coarser, tighter weave nylon. More importantly, because I assume both are tear/cut/abrasion resistant even if the 55 looks and feels tougher, the outside edges of the 55 have additional protection in the form of a heavy piece of nylon webbing sewn into the outer bag, while the 40 is just standard outer bag material in that high-wear area.

I don't even need the 55 any more, having acquired a pair of Evolve 40 and 60s, but I'm reluctant to sell it because it's the best built wing I've ever seen...and that includes the Oxycheq Extreme Vertex 360 I have that you can slash with a razor knife without hurting it.

I recently started diving an Halcyon Evolve 40 and was surprised at how effortlessly it seemed to dump air compared to my other, stiffer, wings. I'm back to appreciating suppler, more graceful, things.

I recently started diving an Halcyon Eclipse 40 and was surprised at how effortlessly it seemed to dump air compared to my other, stiffer, wings. I'm back to appreciating suppler, more graceful, things.

I feel the same way for single tank, which is why my Eclipse 40 sits in the closet while my Pioneer 27 gets dove any time I'm not wearing doubles :)

I feel the same way for single tank, which is why my Eclipse 40 sits in the closet while my Pioneer 27 gets dove any time I'm not wearing doubles :)

Sorry, I meant Evolve 40. Probably same idea.

I have several HOG and Halcyon wings. My only complaint about HOG wings are the long corrugated hoses and their power inflators. Not sure why they stopped using the standard power inflator they used on their wings a few years ago. Halcyon makes a great wing and that is the one I prefer.

Honestly, when people pay more it's better, it just has to be...lol

Oddly enough that's the argument they seem to all fall back when I ask for details on why they pay the Blue H tax.

---------- Post added November 21st, 2013 at 10:10 PM ----------

I have several HOG and Halcyon wings. My only complaint about HOG wings are the long corrugated hoses and their power inflators. Not sure why they stopped using the standard power inflator they used on their wings a few years ago. Halcyon makes a great wing and that is the one I prefer.

Seems like a fair reason. Just not sure it's worth paying the extra ~$150 for the Halcyon.

---------- Post added November 21st, 2013 at 10:11 PM ----------

I recently started diving an Halcyon Evolve 40 and was surprised at how effortlessly it seemed to dump air compared to my other, stiffer, wings. I'm back to appreciating suppler, more graceful, things.

Was your other wing a Hog?

---------- Post added November 21st, 2013 at 10:13 PM ----------

I make good wings. The "ideal" wing is nothing to do with brand and everything to do with how it dives on the diver wearing it,

Personally I've noticed the people with the most expensive gear (in any sport) are usually the ones you hope the other team picks :wink:

I don't think there are any bad choices.
Support the company that you want to support.....that's knid of what it comes down to.

Back
Top Bottom