HOG 32lb Wing Inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just bought this wing. Noticed that the inflate button on the inflator differs from most standard designs.

Most designs have the inflate buttonon the same side as the oral inflate opening. This mostly face to diver's right so you can reach up and press the inflate button with the index finger.

The inflate button on the HOG wing face to diver's left. However the position is not easy to reach with the thumb of the left hand, which is the only finger that can reach the button when the inflator is positioned above the left shoulder D ring.

I'm just curious about the thinking that went behind this design. Why was the button positioned this way and what improvements does it offer over the standard design?

Not sure of thought process on why they did it this way. My zeagle doubles wing has button perfectly perpendicular to the oral inflator, but all of the BCDs I have looked at today have similar placement of the button.

There are 2-3 different "standard" styles of inflators. Must just be the style they chose, they did not design it.

4 of my 5 BC's have this style valve, $T2eC16hHJGkE9no8jD2fBRDo8YEF3Q~~60_37.JPG which is what my HOG doubles wing has on it.

This valve is one that is also very commonly used, m-kqjI3xthrn17xFjrbYdwQ.jpg

Not sure I understand the problem of the button placement, it is just a different way. If you reach up with your left hand like you were going to "choke yourself" then your hand is in the perfect potion to hit the button. In fact I am not sure how you would use any finger but your thumb and still have your arm in an ergonomic position.

Thanks for the reply. I've done about 5 dives with the 2nd style of inflator on my new HOG wing and I really don't like it. The typical one (on top) is a much better design IMO. Much more intuitive I think. Just grab it with left hand and one of your fingers from index to ring finger is going to be there.

With thick 5mm gloves using the bottom style inflator can be challenging, especially with a shorter inflator hose.

The position of the oral inflator doesn't matter. If you want the inflate button to the inside, just turn the infllator around. Snip the zip tie, turn the inflator so the button is to the inside, and put on a new zip tie. Some inflators have the QD on the same side, so the hose would run down the inside. If the QD is on the opposite side, run the hose down the outside. The position of the oral inflator opening is immaterial. All that matters are the inflate button and the QD hose connection. Or maybe I just don't understand the problem.

I might be willing to swap with you. My rEvo wing inflator has the same issue and it is more difficult to run the hose the way I want because of the position of the hose coming from the case. If you can post a photo, we might both have a solution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom