HOG D1 Switchback Venturi Switch Removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deviance

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am currently trying to convert my new HOG D1 Switchback from a left feeding 2nd Stage to a left right feeding 2nd stage. I have been following a video on youtube with little difficulty until I ran into the venturi switch. On the video, the guy simply slide the venturi switch off whereas I am close to breaking my new reg trying to remove the switch. I have already created a number of stretch marks on the plastic and any more attempt will probably lead to a total lost of my reg.

Here is the video in question.

2nd stage.mov - YouTube

And here is my predicament.

DSCN8925.jpg DSCN8926.jpgDSCN8927.jpg

It is as though the venturi switch is stuck on the spring thingy

That video doesn't show a Switchback. You need to remove the black gas hole selector to slide the venturi over, otherwise you are going to bend your lever and mess it all up...

The dealer you got it from didn't help?

Best,

Chris

I got it online from DiveGearExpress. I should have asked them to switch it to right-feed for me before they shipped.

So, what is the black gas hole selector? Is it the black plastic thing that is on the chrome rod or that knob?

DSCN8928.jpg This? DSCN8930.jpg Or this?

How do you remove that thing? Is there some sort of manual online?

Also, I noticed that there is a nut that I can stick an allen key into. I noticed that if I turn it more in, the lever won't become springy and if I turn it in far enough, the lever will just lie flat.

I got it online from DiveGearExpress. I should have asked them to switch it to right-feed for me before they shipped.

So, what is the black gas hole selector? Is it the black plastic thing that is on the chrome rod or that knob?

View attachment 173712 This? View attachment 173713 Or this?

How do you remove that thing? Is there some sort of manual online?

Also, I noticed that there is a nut that I can stick an allen key into. I noticed that if I turn it more in, the lever won't become springy and if I turn it in far enough, the lever will just lie flat.

Yes the black plastic clip like sleeve is the hole selector. It is what is keeping the lever from lying flat. That nut is not a nut. It is the orifice and turning it does adjust the lever height. It also makes contact with the seat. This is how you adjust the cracking pressure on the second stage. Do not mess with that too much or you risk damaging the seat. The clip can just be slid off carefully. It has enough spring to just clip off and on. That is why it is tabbed the way it is.

I hope you have an inline adjusting tool or have adjusted a second stage old school style before. Because of what you have done with the orifice now you are going to have to start from scratch and re-adjust the lever and orifice setting. An inline tool makes that much easier for someone not used to doing this. Usually when I sell one of these is to a tech diver who has done his/her own reg maintenance. For a newer diver that has not done this it can be daunting and as you now see present other challenges. That's why if they want it switched I do it for them. There are HOG dealers in the Vancouver area. It would be in your best interests at this point to perhaps try and locate them. Wait, found em Store Search Locations

I would give them a shout and see if they can help you.

That would be a "NO' on all counts. I have never adjusted the lever or orfice setting and no, I don't have an inline tool.

I should have just gotten the normal D1.

Anyways, I will be heading to one of the dealers tomorrow and ask them for help. Maybe while I am there, I will pick up an SPG as well...

Back
Top Bottom