Why was there a need for D3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had the pleasure of diving D1 cold in 40 degree water and I must say this was one of the better regs I have used. It did not free flow and the breathing rate was pretty steady down to 92 feet which is the max I could go to in that quarry. I have not had the chance to dive the D3 but besides the cosmetics, what possible advantage can it have over D1 to justify a higher price? If the goal was to match the performance of higher end regs with a lower price tag, doesn't the D1 does that in a better way than D3? Curios. Thanks.

Good question!!! I hope cerich jumps in on this one. There is another thread about why isn't dive gear express carrying hog regs any longer and he made some mention that the D3 was their own in house design and that it performed better and was more compact and I believe it swivels more or something like that. I don't know if its still balanced diaphragm like the D1 or a balanced piston ..their website doesn't specify. I'm quite happy with my D1s.

Yes. D1 seemed to be the AK-47 of regs. It is simple, reliable and fail-proof. You can make variations to the original but only by compromising the first aspect i.e Simplicity. This is why people have tried to improve on the AK 47 but they all come back to the original.

The D3 is still a balanced diaphragm reg like the D1. Internally, in terms of function, they're very similar. From what I've heard, there have been a few small tweaks on the inside. I hope Chris corrects me if I'm wrong on those, but it's what I've come to understand.

The biggest/main difference is that with hoses on the swivel, you can now swivel your turret ALL the way around without it running into your DIN knob. In SM, that's huge for air-sharing drills and the like. It's also nice for pony/deco/stage bottles because it allows the hose to tuck away and then it grants you better routing/extra length upon deploying the hose.

The D3 is a better reg, it keeps all the plus of the D1 plus add some more. Victor hit on many of them.

The D1 was/is a amazing value, the D3 isn't exactly expensive.

Yes. I heard D3 has less metal parts in the second stage making D1 a better choice for cold / ice conditions. Is there any truth in this or rumor? Also ... is there significant difference in the weight of the two units? I personally did not notice much but it is generally stated that D1 is heavier than most regs and D3 was intended to counter that.

There is no D3 Second Stage.....so I'm wondering who you heard that from. The D3 is a first stage, and I can vouch for the fact that the insides are all metal (I've pulled 3 apart). The Zenith is the second stage, and I haven't pulled one apart yet but I can tonight when I get home if you want.

As for the weight, I don't have a D1/Classic or a scale to compare to....but I'm sure Chris will chime in soon.

Ya. By D3 second stage I was referring to Zenith. Thanks for the correction.

So, as a recreational diver who is a warm water wuss, which reg set should I be considering, the EDGE or the HOG? Their web site doesn't exactly clarify this issue.

They will both be great. Get the one you like more, if you dive yoke tanks the Epic may be the call.
So, as a recreational diver who is a warm water wuss, which reg set should I be considering, the EDGE or the HOG? Their web site doesn't exactly clarify this issue.

---------- Post added January 17th, 2014 at 02:23 PM ----------

Yes. I heard D3 has less metal parts in the second stage making D1 a better choice for cold / ice conditions. Is there any truth in this or rumor? Also ... is there significant difference in the weight of the two units? I personally did not notice much but it is generally stated that D1 is heavier than most regs and D3 was intended to counter that.

Cool, I didn't know that, I thought the Zenith actually has more metal than the older HOG Classic Second Stage. See the big chromed X on the front? It's brass. The barrel, adj knob etc are all brass, same as the classic second.

I need to go find out who changed the specifications, construction and sent out a memo changing it all... :-(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom