Zenith Leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Evan Soon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I just bought a D3+Zenith reg set from Cave Adventurers and I just got to try it out in the pool yesterday. I found out that the regulator has a minor leak (flow of bubbles from the mouthpiece out). I've twisted the knobs to minimum but there is still bubbles. Also when I adjust the knobs it seems that there is no difference in the breathing. Compared to my friend's D1 Classic reg set, it seems i am "sucking" for air even if I turn the knobs to max.

Because I live in Malaysia I don't think there is any distributor here so I am having problems with getting it to a shop to find out what is the issue. Is there any way that I can try to fix it my own or would it seem like a normal problem that I could settle in any dive shop? Is there any manual I could download and bring to the dive shop to try and find out the issue?

Hi. Would be happy to share manual with your shop or however you like. Did they assemble the reg or did you get them as seperates?

Have you checked the intermediate pressure? Could be IP creep or IP simply set too high.

Hi. Would be happy to share manual with your shop or however you like. Did they assemble the reg or did you get them as seperates?
I bought it from caveadventurers but it would be too costly and time consuming to send it back to US. I would be using a local dive shop called Diver's Den. How could we proceed with it? Would the fix seem easy that they could do it?

---------- Post added February 24th, 2014 at 09:46 AM ----------

Have you checked the intermediate pressure? Could be IP creep or IP simply set too high.
I was reading the forum and some have said that that might be the problem. I am not sure how to solve the issue and if any dive shop would be able to. Would it require any special equipment to test the IP? Need to read up on it.

I was reading the forum and some have said that that might be the problem. I am not sure how to solve the issue and if any dive shop would be able to. Would it require any special equipment to test the IP? Need to read up on it.
You need an IP gauge: Intermediate Pressure Gauge with BCD Quick Disconnect Fitting at LeisurePro

They're inexpensive and every good dive shop should have them (for sale and also as a loaner). IP is adjustable in the 1st stage and should be within a certain range (depends on the reg, but usually between 130-140 psi or so) and more importantly, it should be stable. It should drop only slightly when inhaling/purging and come right back up to where it should be, and it shouldn't move at all when not breathing from it.

I went to the DS to get a quick check and the owner helped me adjust the 2nd stage a little. Will test it out in the pool this weekend and hopefully it solves the problem. If not I might have to send it back to cave adventurers.

By the way what is the max or recommended pressure for the 1st stage and 2nd stage?

135-140 for 1st stage. There is not "setting pressure" for the second. When adjusted by a tec they will normally set the cracking effort at around 1-1.2" of water on a magnehilic.

135-140 for 1st stage. There is not "setting pressure" for the second. When adjusted by a tec they will normally set the cracking effort at around 1-1.2" of water on a magnehilic.
owh. I was reading that there was an ambient water pressure of 1-5 atm and needs to be adjusted according to different brands of regulators.

I think we are having a terminology issue. Do you have a local shop that can look at the regs?

Best,

Chris

Sorry was away for an event for a few says and only got yesterday.
I headed to the pool to test out the regs after a bit of tuning on the 2nd stage.
My setup uses an Atomic SS1 as an octo.
What happened was when I on the air the SS1 gave out a strange trumpet sound so I turned off the air and reconnect the hose for the SS1 and slowly turn it back on.
Everything went on smoothly and before going into the waters I tested breathing and everything was okay.
Once I jumped into the water there was a huge free flow from my reg and SS1 which could not be stopped. The SS1's "regulator" has problems breathing but the inflator was okay after that.

I really have no idea what could be the problem but I will be sending my SS1 for repairs later on and maybe get the shop to check the regulators as well.
There is a shop selling HOG regulators too but I am not sure if they are an official dealer in Malaysia. They are called ScubaHolics. Do HOG have international warranty or would I need to send the regulators back to US?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom