Posted this in the HOG repair station and had no response in over a year, thought I w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aqua-Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just finished rebuilding one of my D1 cold regs and noticed some corrosion on the DIN housing P/N C-01-002-14
attachment.php
. It has been around 18 months since the last overhaul(done at the HOG repair clinic) and there was no corrosion that could not be cleaned off at that time. this is in a spot where there is no seal and water can get to it. After every salt water dive I soak my regs pressurized for at least an hour and let air dry. Around 80% of my diving is in salt water. Is there anything other than servicing the regs more often that would prevent this kind of corrosion? It is not on a sealing surface so it will not affect the operation of the reg but I still don't like it.

if you're doing mostly salt dives you should be pulling them apart more often. Unfortunately the soak doesn't really do much if the water isn't flowing. What part are you talking about since the picture didn't post. If it's just the DIN bit, you can pull that apart every 6 months or so and clean that without servicing the reg. Just pop the O-rings and filter out, stick in the ultrasonic, and throw it back together. No problems.

My advice would be the same as Tbone's. Where you are seeing the corrosion you are not likely moving the salt water out of or away from with just a soak, it is just sitting there and then when you let it air dry the water evaporated leaving the sale sitting right on the metal to do its bit. If you are a HOG technician I would suggest pulling this part apart more frequently and cleaning with a tooth brush and soap and water then air drying rapidly with tank air. you can put a very thin layer of o2 grease, you shouldn't be able to see it, and you don't want to get it in the threads which also might help a little. Another trick you can try is to get an aquarium pump and put it in your soak to create water movement, using a little hose and you moved around the surface of the reg can increase the effectiveness of fresh water penetration and salt removal from deep in parts although just pulling it apart more often is the best thing.

Just remember when re-installing to use the appropriate deep socket and torque wrench and torque spec to re-attach the DIN housing to the body. Also remember the sealing o-ring at the bottom of your DIN housing is not a 70 durometer but a 90 durometer o-ring and these do not normally come in the standard save a dive o-ring kit. If any of this is greek or not familiar to you contact me at Edgediving.operations@gmail.com with your HOG TDI Repair Certification number and I will review the servicing specifics with you. Best Regards and Dive Safe - Jack Schmidt

While flowing water is much more effective, there are a few areas on every regulator setup that do not allow rinse water to flow well. My solution is long soaks - usually 8 to 12 hours.

Thanks for the responses. I do run the regs under running water after the soak. Looks like I will have to extend the soak time and service more often. Jack, do you mean do put grease on the threads or do not put it on the threads. Back probably six years ago I started putting a thin film of crystal lube on the threads of the second stage knob and it has kept the corrosion out of this area very well. Maybe the same will work for the DIN housing.

would be helpful if the picture of the part was there since I don't know exactly which part you're talking about, but putting the lube not on the threads will help keep the salt from accumulating on the chrome.

am I right in assuming this is the din turret that the handwheel with the thread spins around?

would be helpful if the picture of the part was there since I don't know exactly which part you're talking about, but putting the lube not on the threads will help keep the salt from accumulating on the chrome.

am I right in assuming this is the din turret that the handwheel with the thread spins around?

Yes it is the DIN turret that the handwheel spins around P/N C-01-002-14. Not sure why the pic does not show up, It shows up.

if that's all it is, it is just one allen key to spin the retainer off and pull the assembly apart for cleaning. I'd just get in the habit of doing it after every trip, takes 3 minutes and will save you a lot of grief

if that's all it is, it is just one allen key to spin the retainer off and pull the assembly apart for cleaning. I'd just get in the habit of doing it after every trip, takes 3 minutes and will save you a lot of grief

Thanks, I have started doing that since I first saw the problem.

I can highly recommend tribolube EPO2. I've used it on some regulators that were scratched down to the brass and the results were impressive.

Back
Top Bottom