Edge Hog Service Kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes they were nice and while they are completely different internals and casings, they take the same service kit.
Why are you servicing them out of curiosity? Very rare that a second stage needs a full rebuild unless the seat has worn out, which doesn't happen often.

The Epic, EXP, and Escape octo all use the same 2nd stage kit as the Hogs. The Enduro and the egress integrated octo use different kits. And regs really should be rebuilt on an annual basis. Not wise to wait until they don't work, because learning of that failure may come at an inopportune time, like when you are trying to breath, underwater. Remember this is not just "gear" it is life support.

Most regs do not need rebuilt annually. An inspection and adjustment if needed is recommended. But even that is not necessary if the reg is not acting up. HOG and Edge regs have a two year recommended rebuild. Sooner if they see really heavy use and less than optimal care. But I have some that are working as well as they did when I got them three years ago. And they still don't need a rebuild. I've seen and heard of more problems than I care to think about because people did the every year thing with shops and techs who had less skill than they should have. Get an IP gauge, make a magnahelic with a ruler and your kitchen sink, and check your regs on a regular basis. When they start acting up get them taken care of.

Last edited:
The Epic, EXP, and Escape octo all use the same 2nd stage kit as the Hogs. The Enduro and the egress integrated octo use different kits. And regs really should be rebuilt on an annual basis. Not wise to wait until they don't work, because learning of that failure may come at an inopportune time, like when you are trying to breath, underwater. Remember this is not just "gear" it is life support.

Does that mean that most major manufacturers are now putting divers at risk with their recommended 2 year service interval?

If one delays service until there is some initial indication of a problem, what type of problem might be expected other than a small leak or poor performance?

Is the risk of a catastrophic failure greater if one delays service until there is an initial indication of a problem than it is shortly after a service due to a service error?

Most regs do not need rebuilt annually. An inspection and adjustment if needed is recommended. But even that is not necessary if the reg is not acting up. HOG and Edge regs have a two year recommended rebuild. Sooner if they see really heavy use and less than optimal care. But I have some that are working as well as they did when I got them three years ago. And they still don't need a rebuild. I've seen and heard of more problems than I care to think about because people did the every year thing with shops and techs who had less skill than they should have. Get an IP gauge, make a magnahelic with a ruler and your kitchen sink, and check your regs on a regular basis. When they start acting up get them taken care of.

The method I was shown in class does not even require a sink. The lever is adjusted to just about when it is about to drop from its maximum height, no more, and should not rattle when the 2nd stage is assembled. Violently inhaling at the full opening should initiate a freeflow, whereas normally inhaling, or violently inhaling at less than a full opening, shouldn't. Maybe I just had random luck, but the regulator doesn't freeflow while diving, and even breathes marginally better than the new ones I haven't serviced.

The method I was shown in class does not even require a sink. The lever is adjusted to just about when it is about to drop from its maximum height, no more, and should not rattle when the 2nd stage is assembled. Violently inhaling at the full opening should initiate a freeflow, whereas normally inhaling, or violently inhaling at less than a full opening, shouldn't. Maybe I just had random luck, but the regulator doesn't freeflow while diving, and even breathes marginally better than the new ones I haven't serviced.

The sink is a double check. If you wait until your first dive after service to get it wet, you risk missing small leaks.

It is like a test drive of your car after service.

One of the benefits I have is being able to take reg students that come to me down to the pool on the 2nd day to get in the water with their regs as well as trying them in the sink and using it for a magnahelic.

I don't want anyone to misinterpret me. Jim is absolutely right, there are many regs these days with a 2 year service interval, but in most cases manufacturers still require an inspection on the off year (especially true if you are dealing with warranty kits). So I always suggest that they be sent in annually to have either of them done. A reputable technician should know how to look up the history or ask the right questions to know what the reg needs. BUT, because a reg works even though it hasn't been serviced in X years doesn't necessarily mean it's a good Idea to dive it. I like to air on the side of caution and stick to what the manufacturer recommends, because for me it comes down to liability.
If a reg is outside of it's service window, please don't ask me to certify it "safe" to dive, because I will not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom